Budget power amp options for preamp pedals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jackson74, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Jackson74

Jackson74 Member

I have a few pre- amp pedals and mainly a Kingsley Constable. Any recommendations for a budget power amp to run these through. Anyone have any luck with the power amp sims like the NUX?

I run through my audio interface and through headphones these days as wife and kid are sleeping and I play late.

TIA

2. PRSAtomic

PRSAtomic Supporting Member

Two Notes Wall of sound if you have a audio interface.

3. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

@Jackson74

Budget power amps...that is a bit like budget speakers...it only ends badly IMPE.

The good thing is that power amps aren’t expensive. Orange Pedal Baby is affordable as is the Katana 100 Head Mk II (the mark 2 bit is important). The EHX 44 Magnum was awful IMPE.

You can simply pickup something like an second hand Orange Dark Terror head (rather cheaply I might add) and use that as a great punchy EL84 poweramp. I found that worked better than even good SS myself. Preamp needs good EQ but that would be a pretty nice Plexi style rig I’d imagine (I used a boosted Plexi style pre into the Orange and it rocked).

Once you have a poweramp you also need a nice cab for it all as the cab/speaker is 50% of your sound.

LordByron likes this.
  4. Jackson74

Jackson74 Member

@Axe-Man

I mean budget in the sence I do not need much power or frills. Just something for my Preamps to push for playing in studio. I don't want garbage but I am not looking to spend a ton of money.

5. Roark

Roark Supporting Member

Researching the same thing, Something easy to carry that sounds good.

Mooer makes a rack mountable mono 20 watt tube. $300

VHT LXII has a new one (tube) but may be cost prohibitive, same as Boss TAE except SS. Around $1100-1200.

The Boss may be worth it, it includes reactive load with EQ so no speakers needed plus footswitchable post effects.

Have no experience with any of them though, just youtube videos.

6. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

Depending on your budget, you might also consider getting one of the newer Fender Champions and using the effects return (the loop on those is labeled "Pre Out" and "Power In"). Just make sure it's got a loop, and you can get a great-sounding power amp that's also a full-functioning amp, should you need it, in the high $200s/low $300s range.

7. sleewell

sleewell Member

i got my quilter tone block for $225 shipped.

MaxTwang likes this.
  8. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Two years ago I picked up and old MosValve power amp for my '80s ADA MP-1 throwback rack. Sounds really good for little money and is fairly light weight. Sounds WAY better than my buddies ADA power amp.

9. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I have a Tone Block. Its sounds weird for lack of a better description.

10. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

IF you can find one, the old Lee Jackson/Perfect Connection SP-1000(100w/ch) are killer.

11. Marioverkill

Marioverkill Supporting Member

ISP Stealth or Stealth ultra-lite.

12. monkeybike

monkeybike Member

Zvex Nano Head if you can find one for a good price.

13. Ejay

Ejay Member

Mooer radar...poweramp sim and IR loader...not an actuall poweramp...but since you play through headphones...you dont actually need one right?

davidespinosa likes this.
  14. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Member

Katana Mk 2 head has a preamp input called 'Poweramp In'. Only $350 new. Wait a few months & there should be plenty of used ones.

15. Ejay

Ejay Member

Any combo with a loop has a poweramp in by means of the return.

16. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

@Jackson74

Please clarify whether you want an actual power amp, or whether a power amp sim is good enough, since you play through headphones.

17. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

In this vein, the OP could opt for the Micro Dark and just use the power amp input. Those little things are stupid loud, and they're more than capable of driving any size cab, not to mention how great they sound on their own, but it also has a headphone output. I have a Dark Terror, and an MD as well, and the MD is louder overall at the same settings. The Dark Terror feels better to play, but the MD sounds better down low, and it's $200 out the door brand new.

IbanezAS200 and Axe-Man like this.
  18. twisty571

twisty571 Supporting Member

What about a Ibanez TSA head? Can be had on the cheap & you can skip the Tube Screamer circuit by going into the loop rather than the front of the amp or use the TS anywhere you want on your board and have a clean boost also?