Budget refinish?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrisjnyc, Feb 22, 2018.

1. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Does anyone refinish set neck guitars for under $500? I dont have any way to sand it or spray it myself... Its a Les Paul Trad Pro II with some decent road wear and tear... Ideally if they are in the NYC area too

2. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

I'm not in your area but $500 should get you a refin in opaque colors. Transparents maybe more.
    Rob

3. chrisjnyc

I haven't seen anything under $500 for a basic sand and flat black\white spray on a Les Paul

4. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

I do not off the top of my head, but even if you found someone, is it going to be a job you want?

Talk to Andy @BadMojo https://www.badmojomakeovers.com/ and see what options you have. Stripping it yourself would help, and with a LP, you can scrape most with just a razor.

BadMojo likes this.
  5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

6. Last

Last Member

You might be able to find someone to do poly for $500 or less, but a professional nitro refinish will be close to double that.

7. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

You could take it to your local auto body shop or if you have a friend in that industry. I know if you want a bumper cover repainted (not replaced) usually it costs around $300-$500 to sand and spray it. I suspect that wouldn't cost much more and it would probably cost less than that if they are able to do it.

8. gregsguitars

gregsguitars Member

Chemically strip the body ( home supply store product) , let the stripper do the work don't hurry,then finish with chemical stripper and flat razor blade to get the tight spots, Say NO to sanding ( except final prep with high grit wet sanding to smooth the body , use pore filler if needed .then get some nitro rattle can primer and paint from guitar reranch....

Last likes this.
  9. Last

Last Member

This will work if you don’t need to pore fill.

With prior damage to the original finish there will be some steaming and more detailed work.

10. Juan Tuthri

Juan Tuthri Supporting Member

Some times a well worn in neck is heaven. If your guitar is comfortable to you then you could consider doing a top only refin which should be considerably cheaper so you won't have to get black or white.

11. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Chemical stripping is quite messy and Gibson finishes will wipe off with lacquer thinner. However, the fumes are not what one would want in a NYC home. A scrapper will easily remove the finish from all but the tight places.

Unless you have the time, tools and know how, you are better off saving a few more dollars and having a pro do it

12. chrisjnyc

Yea, there is no option for a DIY refinish... I have a small NYC apartment with kids, and its the middle of winter.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018