• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Budget speakers

InGodWeTrust

I have an opportunity to get either a pair of Energy CF 70's or Polk Monitor 70 series II either for a good price. Does anyone have any experience with either.

CassetteTape

Silver Supporting Member
At that price point I'd honestly look into a pair of Elacs or the Pioneers that Andrew Jones made before he left Pioneer to join Elac.

He's basically turned the budget speaker market on it's lid.

Last edited:

bluesuede

If your not in a hurry and are interested in the Elacs, you can catch them on sale. The dropped to $150 a year and a half ago and I'm kicking myself for not buying a pair then. Lately $229 is the lowest I've seen.

BobbyRay

Silver Supporting Member
I'm so far very impressed with my JBL Stage A170's.

For a small, unassuming tower speaker, these are remarkably big sounding while avoiding mud. Not the most revealing speakers, but more like a warm and detailed hug.

Tahitijack

Nothing to add....this just reminded me of those guys selling Teledyne speakers from a white van in the parking lots of shopping centers. Cheep and top of the line bro.....good times.

InGodWeTrust

The deal on the Energy's was 2-conneseur CF70 towers, 2- 6 1/2inch w/stands, the 2-6 1/2 center channel, and the powered 10 inch sub. Plus a Denon #AVR-X2300W receiver (center channel doesn't work). Complete cabling for everything. Total $450

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
I owned the Pioneer bookshelves and a pair of the floor standers. Talk about an over hyped product! Yikes! Bright and fatiguing!

At that price point I'd honestly look into a pair of Elacs or the Pioneers that Andrew Jones made before he left Pioneer to start Elac.

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
Focal 716‘s currently on sale..just google and listen. Just a fantastic budget speaker. I‘ve used the 706’s in a system for 10 years and they’re great IMO.

Robotechnology

Gold Supporting Member
4 years ago I was going to get a pair of ML Motion 35’s. I like the motion series. However in classic TGP fashion for musical gear, I ended up with something decidedly more boutique... Legacy Audio Studio HD’s. Don’t regret it though as I’m extremely content with an all Legacy setup now (except for an SVS sub). An all ML Motion is an GREAT non break the bank setup though... ENJOY!

scott944

At that price point I'd honestly look into a pair of Elacs or the Pioneers that Andrew Jones made before he left Pioneer to join Elac.

PSA: ELAC is having another open box/B-stock sale right now. I got a pair of Debut 2.0 b6.2 speakers for $210 the last time they did this and LOVE them.

Trending Topics