Budget Strat Replacement Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Baker4, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Baker4

Baker4 Member

Hey all, I'm replacing the pickups in my 2003 MIM alder body, maple/maple strat and do not want to spend over $200 for a set of alnico V strat pickups.

The only tones I really desire are Robert Cray-like notch tones and screaming blues tones from the neck/bridge. I play blues along the lines of Albert Collins and Robben Ford through a Peavey Classic 30.

So far I'm considering...Van Zandt True Vintage, Van Zandt Blues, Seymour Duncan SSL-1, and Chubtone 62's. Anything else I should be looking at? And any advice in picking the set I finally go with?

Edit: Can anyone explain the differences between the custom shop fender sets?

Thanks,
    :JAM

2. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I can't comment on the Van Zandt pups, but I did have a Ash strat with the Duncan's you mentioned, and wasn't happy with the sound at all. I replaced them with a set of Fender custom 54's, which was a huge improvement. I use this guitar for clean/light break-up sounds. I used the Duncan's in a cheapo ( Mahogany) strat clone and that combo worked really well. The Ash with the Duncan's was too bright IMO. The custom 54's are clear but not overly bright.

3. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Van Zandt True Vintage for the neck and middle and a blues or rock for the bridge. Have VZ's in a Hamer Daytona and the alnico 5's are more "upfront" than the Duncan alnico 2's in my other Daytona. Both guitars sound good thru my classic 50. The one with the VZ's gets more play time.

Larry

4. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

Try contacting Pete Biltoft at http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com

Pete can wind a set to your description. Discuss it with him and see what he comes up with. Pete's pickups are well made and great sounding. And they're about $125.00 a set or less.

5. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

As a hopeless strat slut I can't say enough good things about the custom shop 69's ($140-ish)

6. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

+1 I think the "new" 57/62's are the best bang for the buck and overlooked. I love botique stuff as much as the next guy but Fender makes some pretty good pickup's for the $. Especially the 54's & 69's.

Joe

7. Baker4

Baker4 Member

Thanks guys. Which of the Fender pups would you say most closely resemble the clean tones Robert Cray gets on his new cd Twenty (finally bought it this weekend and I love his tone). I love the snappy/quacky clean tones he gets, as well as the uniquely strat-ish OD tones.

8. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Haven't heard his cd but for me the 69's are about the cleanest without that ice pick in the ear treble. The 54's, fat 50's will do the job too with some string height adjustment/amp eq'ing.

What Joe Perry said, I like booteek p/u's too but the last few years Fender has really been putting out equally good sounding p/u's at affordable prices. People forget that they were the ones who started all this strat stuff:)

9. Joe Perry

You could probably get close with either of the three but I'd say the fat 50's. Plus the middle p/u is RW/RP for super quiet mode in positions 2 & 4. :dude

Joe

10. Baker4

Baker4 Member

Thanks for all the help guys :BEER One more quick question...on the fender website I read that the 4 sets of CS pickups I'm interested come OEM in some of their guitars, would it help to hunt down some of these axes and A/Bing them to see which pups I like best?

11. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Couldn't hurt. Important thing is to let the salemen know you are a member of TGP and don't take **** offa no one.:Devil

12. Joe Perry

I would suggest going to a local Guitar center & try comparing different models to get a feel for each. Angela music has great prices online & on e-bay for Fender p/u's.

Joe

13. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

But don't ask the GC sales doods any questions, you might end up with bass pickups :p

14. HHB

HHB Member

the GFS strat sets are by far the best bang for the buck out there, 60 bucks for the set and they sound fantastic

15. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

GFS?

16. Luke V

Luke V Member

I've been digging Texas Specials for over 12 years. They cover alot of territory. Bluesy neck pickup, treble pickup is full, no ice picks here. I don't use positions 2 and 4 , but others that play my guitar like those sounds. They clean up well when you roll back the volume control.

17. Joe Perry

I've been using them for about 14 years in my 92 SRV strat :) But I don't like recommending them because most say the are too muddy. I must have gotten an early good set like you. :AOK

Joe