Budget tele with NARROW neck/nut/spacing

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by henryjurstin13, Dec 6, 2016.

1. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

When I was a kid I played a tele copy in a pawnshop with a very narrow nut & still think about that guitar 20 years later. If I were to look for something lower in the budget with a narrow nut/neck/spacing, what would you suggest?

2. agiehler

agiehler Member

Squier Affinity series has a narrow nut.

3. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

How narrow? Vinatge spec narrow? Or more so (like an EBMM)?

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

The SX and Hadean T styles at Rondo have a 42mm nut (~ 1 5/8")

5. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Not sure, what are my options? What width is "vintage spec?" Are all EBMM 41.3?

Best I can remember it was some junk brand - prolly a 70's tele copy by some weird named brand... I just remember picking it up & thinking I'd never felt a guitar neck that narrow before.

6. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

7. mikealpine

mikealpine Silver Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    It depends on "budget" because to some a $399 guitar is expensive, and to others, that's considered a budget guitar. What are you looking to spend? Also, does it have to be an "official" Tele, meaning "Fender" or can it be a T-style?

My recommendation for the $399 range (which can be found cheaper during sales) is an Ibanez Talman, the standard model. Pretty thin neck. Bought an S style for my daughter. Sounds really nice. You can move up the food chain with Ibanez and look at the Prestige line, for about $800 more.

8. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Don't care about Fender/Tele names in particular... sub $500 for sure. Just looking for T-style with narrow neck.

9. mikealpine

mikealpine Silver Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    If you have a chance to check out the Ibanez, that might be a good option. I liked the T, my daughter preferred the sound of the S, but both are decently built and sound good to me.

10. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

11. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Even if not a t-style, what's the narrowest electric guitar neck anyone has ever played? Not just thin, but narrow nut width...

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

With how many strings?

[​IMG]

Racert, Laurence and henryjurstin13 like this.
  13. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Har-dee-har-har..

14. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

You might check out an Indonesian Squier tele from the early 2000s. Not Affinity but actual Squier. They had really good build quality for the money -- sort of reminiscent of a low end Yamaha pacifica. I always wanted to buy one except they had unusually narrow necks. Narrow nuts, narrow string spacing, etc. It didn't work for me but might for you.

15. sibyrpunk

sibyrpunk Member

I would have to say my buddies Ibanez shredder. Not sure of model name or #! My buddy said it has the wizard neck.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  16. agiehler

agiehler Member

A vintage Fender Starcaster.

The Affinity is an "actual Squier," just as the Classic Vibe is an "actual Squier." It's just the name of the series. Build quality of all these cheap guitars varies per individual example though OP so try to find something local or on Guitar Center used where you can return hassle free if you don't dig it or it doesn't fit your needs.

17. Racert

Racert Member

I recently bought a Sunn Mustang guitar, made in India, that I spotted in a charity shop for £45 and was amazed at the quality neck on it which is very narrow. Rosewood on top of maple with rolled edges and perfect fretting with tapered edges. The guitar itself is made of Black Korina (a dense wood which explains the guitar's heaviness). Warmoth actually charge more for bodies made of this than alder or swamp ash and it has a very balanced, musical, slightly less bright, tone than those woods. I bought a loaded vintage noiseless pickguard, replaced the tuning pegs with Wilkinson's and it sounds and plays wonderful. Getting back on topic, it has a very narrow string width. From the middle of high E to low E at the bridge it is 48mm. I have measured from the centre of the first mounting hole to the centre of the last and it measures 50mm exactly, which is less than the traditional Fender 2 1/16' narrow spacing which has me baffled. The entire bridge from left edge to right is 68mm (gaps either side of the standard Fender pickguard cutout). The nut is 42mm wide. Suits my narrow small hands perfectly !

Slaphappy likes this.
  18. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

The budget Talman Ibanez S and T copies have nuts a tad less than 1 5/8" at 1.614."
    Around $350 or so I recall.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  19. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

20. Racert

Racert Member

That looks like a 7.25" radius. Must be one of the much sought after earlier models !

Cal Webway likes this.