Budget Vox Cleans ala Beatles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jim lavender, Dec 23, 2009.

1. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

What's the best way to achieve the Vox jangle/chime on a budget of $300 or less. I'm currently considering the Vox Pathfinder or a Vox AC 4 with a speaker upgrade in the future.
    Thanks and Merry Christmas

2. t-rey

t-rey Member

I have heard the Pathfinder has a great clean. If you are looking for a little bit of the chime, it would be hard to beat the AC4.

3. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Thanks Trey
    Although I'd use this amp mostly at home or small jams, I still worry abit about spending $250 for an amp that could possibly have very little clean headroom.

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Other than the AC4TV, check out the Vox Valvetronix amps. They are known to do pretty good recreations of Vox amps....

5. pgissi

pgissi Member

If your on a budget and dont want to settle on an amp at this time, check out the jangle box, will give up those Voxy tones with just about any amp.

http://janglebox.com/

Between the Pathfinder and AC-4, my pick is the AC-4, that EL84 magic requires just that, the EL84 tube. But I have not tried those though, so I cant say anything about them and how they differ from the older model. I just picked up a Marshall Class 5 and am loving it, its very loud but whats common with low wattage amps is the cleans are not loud enough to play with other musicians to probably satisfy but in a studio environ, its fine.

One thing I do know is the concept behind the Jangle Box works with any amp given you dial it in properly be it master or non master. I dont own one but the clips are great and have wanted one.

For now I use 2 pedals to mimic this when I need the chime, a Boss Compressor into an strange Boss Pedal, the EH-2 Enhancer which is a bandpass filter/dynamics processor in one pedal. Between the 2 pedals I get bandpass squish and some filtering to sweeten the tone which brings on the chime by emphasizing some high harmonics while squishing the signal to prevent distortion onset in the amp. I have used this on several amps and it works.

but the Jangle does it all and better and in 1 pedal so maybe jump on that to use with your current amp and then in the future, go bigger Vox.

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

7. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member