Buffalo FX Patriot vs M-1

Gilwater

Bump for someone who's compared both. I have an M1. It's great, but I'm wondering if because of it's "hi" and "lo" EQs if it's redundant to get a Patriot also.

Gilwater

I had to know the answer to this so I ended up buying both.

I've owned an M1 for a little while and have played it quite a bit. With the Hi and Lo EQs its very versatile and the fuzz tone is great. It has the character for a Rams Head, but smoother. Hence the "Stacked Rams Head" sound that it claims. I've been very happy with my M1, and in head to head comparisons, I've preferred it to every other Muff style fuzz that I've tried.

With that said, I'm a big fan on Gilmour's tone on Pulse, and I had to try a Patriot.

As you will hear in in all the reviews for the Patriot it is huge. It is big and it is smoother than the M1. It also has a more noticeable mid bump. I thought that I could simulate that mid push by turning down the Hi and Lo on the M1 but it did not make the mids more pronounced but only seemed to flattened the EQ. This makes sense since the Rams Head is known to be mid scooped. I could lessen the scoop, but not bring up the mids. I found that the M1 is more biting and a little more aggressive that the Patriot even though I believe that the Patriot actually has more overall gain.

In the end, I have kept the Patriot on my board. Not because it's better than the M1, but because it fit my sonic needs better....for now. (And my M1 isn't going anywhere) I use the Patriot for searing lead tones, and the Patriot does that job better for my rig. I venture to say that if I was to do more rhythm work with a big muff style circuit, I'd choose the M1 over the Patriot, but its all personal preference.

To answer the OP, The Patriot will give you the "gobs of dripping sustain" that you're looking for; probably a little more than the M1. Simply put: If you want "Sorrow" get the Patriot. If you wanted "Comfortably Numb" get the M1. Can't go wrong with either.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
I had to know the answer to this so I ended up buying both.

I've owned an M1 for a little while and have played it quite a bit. With the Hi and Lo EQs its very versatile and the fuzz tone is great. It has the character for a Rams Head, but smoother. Hence the "Stacked Rams Head" sound that it claims. I've been very happy with my M1, and in head to head comparisons, I've preferred it to every other Muff style fuzz that I've tried.

With that said, I'm a big fan on Gilmour's tone on Pulse, and I had to try a Patriot.

As you will hear in in all the reviews for the Patriot it is huge. It is big and it is smoother than the M1. It also has a more noticeable mid bump. I thought that I could simulate that mid push by turning down the Hi and Lo on the M1 but it did not make the mids more pronounced but only seemed to flattened the EQ. This makes sense since the Rams Head is known to be mid scooped. I could lessen the scoop, but not bring up the mids. I found that the M1 is more biting and a little more aggressive that the Patriot even though I believe that the Patriot actually has more overall gain.

In the end, I have kept the Patriot on my board. Not because it's better than the M1, but because it fit my sonic needs better....for now. (And my M1 isn't going anywhere) I use the Patriot for searing lead tones, and the Patriot does that job better for my rig. I venture to say that if I was to do more rhythm work with a big muff style circuit, I'd choose the M1 over the Patriot, but its all personal preference.

To answer the OP, The Patriot will give you the "gobs of dripping sustain" that you're looking for; probably a little more than the M1. Simply put: If you want "Sorrow" get the Patriot. If you wanted "Comfortably Numb" get the M1. Can't go wrong with either.

I bought a Patriot, a purchase decision based upon various Youtube videos. Glad I did, too. None of the M-1 videos enticed me, though. (I'm not a Pink Floyd guy so my purchase-decision parameters are probably rather different than yours.)

Gilwater

What's funny is that I tended to like the M1 videos better than the Patriot videos. I feel like most of the videos featuring the Patriot, the bass is overloading their inputs and on YouTube made it sound "woofy". I don't think the true sound of the Patriot translates well over YouTube.

I bought the M1 first because it seemed more versatile. In many ways I still think that it is, but I feel like the Patriot fits the sound that I was looking for better.

I'm not exactly trying to copy Gilmour tones, as I don't actually play many Pink Floyd songs. But I have found that I really like his sound, and use his tone and gear as a template to form my own thing.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom