Buffer after passive volume pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by heyrobscott, Mar 28, 2015.

1. heyrobscott

heyrobscott Member

I am going to add a volume pedal to my chain, and was going to get an Active one (VM-Pro from Mission) because other than my Klon KTR at the beginning, all of my drives are True Bypass, as are my delays after the drives. But I recently just got a Timeline that I put first after my drives.

I'm running the buffered bypass on the Timeline, and I feel like adding an Active volume pedal before it would be buffer overkill, so I'm looking at a new Boss FV-30L (low impedance, true bypass). As there's not a buffer directly before where the volume pedal will go, will it be an issue for tone suck or taper? Is it fine that the buffer is immediately after the volume?

I'm new and naive to volume pedals, the only thing I know is that if I go passive I want a low impedance version, as I would only use it between a buffered pedalboard, and never be in direct contact with my pickups.

Thoughts?

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The "L" version requires a buffer directly before it to function properly. If not, it will severely cut the top end. Having a buffer directly after the volume pedal does not change this.

You mention the KTR sitting at the start of the chain. Then you would be fine with the FV-30L after the true bypass drive pedals - but only as long as those are turned off. When you turn one of them on, that pedal's output stage will now be responsible for driving the volume pedal, and there's no guarantee that it is suited to that task. This is why having the buffer immediately before the volume pedal is important.

3. heyrobscott

heyrobscott Member

The pedals between are Klon -> (soon to add King of Tone) -> Wampler Euphoria -> Keeley TS808 -> XTS Atomic Overdrive -> volume pedal -> Timeline. (I have a Little Walter VG50, which is a very clean 50 watt high headroom amp, hence the many flavors of distortion)

Better to go with an active buffered volume pedal in this case?

4. heyrobscott

heyrobscott Member

Bump for morning crowd

I'm looking for Mark Knopfler-like volume swells, and am also concerned that the FV30L may be a little small and hard to dial in. The FV500L with tuner-out removed was my first choice, but it's just too big for my board. So I'll take recommendations on another volume pedal if someone has recommendations.

My other thought was to add an XTS-modified Boss GE7 as a clean boost prior to the volume, which might be buffered and solve the problem.

5. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

My chain really improved from adding a buffer up front. Also, I'm a firm believer in EQ pedals, so kill two stones with one pedal sounds good to me. I eventually moved my passive volume pedal (Fender RI ... a tank) down to just in front of my delay and reverb which has really worked out well for years.

6. heyrobscott

heyrobscott Member

I do have a buffer first thing, it's a DOD FX10 BiFET preamp with a very high impedance. I don't even turn the pedal on, the buffer itself just lights up my pickups. The next buffers are a Script Phase 90, then the Klon. There are true bypass pedals all up and down the board, though.

I've got a very clean and quiet rig, and I can tell a big difference between pedal placement and the effect buffers have on it, which is why I'm so concerned about the best way to add a volume pedal to my board.

7. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

There are at least a couple of pedals in that list that won't work well driving a low impedance volume pedal directly. So you'd probably need to add a buffer immediately before the volume pedal, to get the best sweep and performance. Obviously, one that is already buffered - such as the Ernie Ball MVP - would work on its own.

9. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

If your TS808 has stock buffered bypass, it should be fine to drive the volume pedal. Only problem could be the XTS, if it has poor output impedance, then switch the order of it and the 808 and you should be ok.

10. heyrobscott

heyrobscott Member

The TS808 is true bypass. The AM modded Ernie Ball with buffer and taper has me sold. That's the one! Thanks all!