Buffer Boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by acolico, May 14, 2008.

1. acolico

acolico Member

I've a master loop strip with 4 true by pass switch and a master swith on off; a 535q dunlop wha (on loop 1 because it's a very sucking tone pedal ) ; a ts 808 ibanez ( on loop 2), I'm going to get a chorus (loop3).
    American Fender Statocaster and JCM 800 combo 4010.
    My questions:
    am I right if a get a Super chili Picoso Catalinbread as boost on the end of the chain and a buffer at the beginning of the chain to have a better (more present/dinamic) sound?
    is the buffer at the beginning supefluos having the true bypass switches?
    Which is for you the best solution?

2. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    you'll have to experiment with the buffer before and after your loop strip as it may very well sound different each way. i used to have an MI Audio Boost/Buff that i kept close to the beginning of the chain and had good results. a good buffer, IMO, is good to have if you're running through a bunch of TB pedals. i've never used a loop strip so i'm not sure how it might work with that...

the best way is to take an afternoon and test out the buffer in diff't positions. check your signal with and without a buffer, you may even find that you don't need one with the looper you have....

3. sabby

sabby Member

If you want two buffer/boosts, check out the Barge Concepts DB-2 (they're being blown out at $85): Two boosts in one pedal with a loop in between them. I enter the loop right after my fuzz and the first boost, set at unity, drives my chain. I exit the loop after my volume pedal as use the second boost to slam the amp. Or, the second boost can be just as well used as a master volume. Great stuff, especially at 18v where's there's great transparency and headroom.

Did I mention that they're going for $85?

4. acolico

acolico Member

in your opinion , in my situatuin, would it be better to get a boost or a buffer if you had to take a choice between the two?

greets from italy!
    many thanks.

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

you have few efx.
    you have a looper.
    the super chile is buffered when it's off (I think).
    sounds you don't need another buffer.

6. sabby

sabby Member

+1

You already have a looper which bypasses a lot of cord length. Only your ears can tell you for sure. Do you loose signal when you plug into your looper? Check by bypassing everything and run through it. Then plug straight into your amp.

If the tone is the same you don't need a buffer. If there signal loss, a buffer or boost set at unity should fix it (unless there's a problem with your looper).

If you simply want more presence and dynamics, maybe a clean boost would do it. (The DB-2 is still two boosts for less than the price of one.) More likely, you want a colored boost like 19 Sixty 3.