Buffer in Boss Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sus4, Feb 11, 2006.

1. sus4

sus4 Member

What does everypone think about the buffer built into Boss pedals? Do they really suck that much tone? Are there mods for the buffer? ...And do all Boss pedals have the same buffer? It seems unnecessary to have all of my pedals buffered, but the only Boss pedal in my loop is a tuner.

Daniel

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

BOSS pedals have a "sound". Too many in a chain and you get the brittle factor. Even one makes a noticable dif, but guitar, amp and desired tone all affect whether or not that matters...
    In some cases, a BOSS buffer saved the signal chain for me. Much better than no buffer, say, in front of a passive volume pedal.

3. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The way to determine buffer status is by determining the output impedance for each pedal. Most of the newer Boss pedals have an output impedance of 1k ohms. Low impedance is considered 200 ohms or less, so while the 1k ohms output is short of being low impedance, the impedance is much lower than some of the older Boss pedals, which should reduce the problems caused by signal loading. 10k ohms is the typical output impedance of most other pedals, like Maxon or Ibanez, and some of the older Boss pedals.

Removing the TU-2 tuner from my setup seems to help the tone a little, but the same can be said of almost any pedal--removing it will reduce loading, if even the pedal is true bypass.

Here's link for the specs on Boss pedals. Select the pedal then look under specifications.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/p_compactpedals.html

4. amoebas

amoebas Guest

one buffer is fine.

you don't need to think about it too much, it's not that big of a deal, unless you have 3+. then i would consider putting them in a loop and switching them in/out of your straight signal path (guit>amp) and see if you mind the signal degradation (if any).

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I think the Boss Buffers are fine I like them over the Digitech X series pedals I've used. I only have 2 Boss pedals in my chain the DD-3 and CE-5 and have not noticed any tonal changes!

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

VERY interesting... thanks Tim. I'd never thought to check that before, I assumed they were all the same. Wrong... and what's really interesting is that almost all the models I like have 10K output impedance, and the ones I don't so much have 1K. One of the only exceptions is the DS-1, but they changed the circuit on that... and I very much prefer the older Made In Japan version (I know it's not just the buffer that was changed on that one though). I'm guessing that most or all of the Made In Japan ones were 10K. I really think that there is a difference between the Japanese and Taiwanese models, and you can hear it in bypass as well, so I knew there was something different about the buffers - I'd just never actually realised the impedance was changed, I assumed it was down to component types. I hear the newer ones as being thinner and flatter - more sterile, somehow - and the older ones as fuller and fatter. They do all affect the tone, and in some ways the old ones may have more effect... I just prefer one over the other.

7. sus4

sus4 Member

I noticed they don't give the output impedence of the TU-2:

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/TU-2/specs.html

:jo

8. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Where did you find the differing impedence values between japanese/taiwanese products?

9. playon

playon Supporting Member

I was discussing buffers vs true bypass with Alan Durham, the guy who makes the Sex Drive and Much Boosto pedals... he thinks the TU-2 has a great sounding buffer in it.

10. sus4

sus4 Member

Where should the tuner pedal go?

I have a Pharoah Class A Boost --> HBE Power Screamer and want to add a trem --> delay --> reverb.

Right now, I don't have enough pedals for it to be a concern, but when I add these other 3, I might need a loop or something...

Daniel

11. granite

granite Member

Anyone know what the output impedance is for a Boss PN-2? This is a long discontinued pedal that I'm having modded to reduce noise and volume drop. I'm curious about the buffer. Mine is Taiwan made not MIJ. Thanks for the help.

12. granite

granite Member

Keeley said no. Analogman said ask again in a few months, maybe when things slow down. Brian at IndyGuitarist said, "sure, I'll give it try." I'm shipping him the pedal next week.

13. granite

granite Member

Sure...Brian said it would probably take him a week to tweek it. I'll post how it goes once I get it back.