Buffer or compressor recommendation for low end rumble?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jhp612, Mar 5, 2015.

1. jhp612

jhp612 Member

So in order to shape my tone a bit first thing in my chain I'd like to pick a compressor or buffer of some sort to just thicken up my clean sound and to add some rumble. Any recommendations out there?

2. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I'm not sure either of those tools will get you there. I'd look at some sort of fat boost like an EP Booster, or an EQ pedal, or an OD that can function as a fat boost like a Klon Klone.

A buffer can potentially make your signal stronger if there is something in the chain that is making it weaker and dull, but they generally don't increase the low end, more bring back the lost high end.

3. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

VFE White Horse. Optical compressor with overdrive.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'll 2nd this, love mine. That bass cut knob allows you to set how much thickness it adds with compression. Then you have choice between MOSFET drive/comp and optical comp blend as well as the main blend to merge that with your clean signal. That drive knob about 10:00 is area your looking for.

-------------

Triumvirate Boost (not high gain version) should also work brilliantly for what you want.
    [​IMG]
    Way you can balance out tone and selectively add drive is amazing.