Buffer Pedal Help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mild, Jul 26, 2006.

1. mild

mild Member

Hi everyone, just looking for a touch of help in my chaining. Here's how it currently runs:

Input - Pic Wah - Keeley Compressor - Loooper (10 loops) - Lehle P-split - Amps

Naturally, the looper cuts an enormous amount of high end out, just by having it in the chain. To counter this I have ordered two buffer units - the Axess BS-2, and the Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso. I plan on utilising the Axess as the pre-pushing buffer, and the SCP as the post-effects line driver; placing them like so:

Input - Pic Wah - Axess BS-2 - Keeley Compressor - Loooper (10 loops) - Catalinbread SCP - Lehle P-split - Amps

Two questions:
    1. Is this the best utilisation and placement of these two units?
    2. Will either buffer interfere with what the other is trying to do, in this configuration?

Thanks in advance... when its done, this is going to make one heck of a post in the "Show Your Pedalboard" thread... ;)

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a good plan to me... The looper shouldn't affect tone much when bypassed (just 1' of wire and the input/output jacks) but when all 10 loops are on, woo... Can't you get a built in buffer in the looper, saving the real estate for the BS2?

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

That's how I run my BS-2, after the wah, but here's the thing:

Once the signal is buffered, I don't think you will need the second buffer at all. The whole point of the buffer is to run long signal lines AFTER the buffer, and the BS-2 does this really well, with no need for a second buffer. I don't know why you'd want to buffer the signal twice.

I have even run my rig (for recording) connecting the output of my pedalboard, with the BS-2 coming after the wah but before my 4-loop switcher and all my pedals, 35 feet from my control room into my recording booth with no audible signal loss. And I'm pretty picky.

Seems to me that buffering the signal twice would be sonically undesirable, but then, that's just my 2 cents.

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I too am looking at the BS-2 but in a different context. I am curious about the iso'd output that can be used for a tuner. If I run my tuner there, will it no longer work to mute the signal to the amp? I need a mute for changing guitars and that is an important part of my rig that I need.
    I would be running:
    Gtr>wah>Axess BS-2>effects>amp
    with the tuner plugged into the iso'd jack.

5. mild

mild Member

Hey CB... Yeah, you've got it. If you Iso the Tuner, you can't use it as a mute - its Iso'd! You could always get a Vol. Pedal...?

I'm going to email Sean from Lovepedal about this... but for any of you COT users out there, who know your buffers... Would I be best served placing the COT before the Axess BS-2? I heard that they are buffer-unfriendly, and like to be as early in the chain as possible...

6. erksin

erksin Member

No it won't mute - it's split out of the signal path to the amp.

7. cbpickin

erksin,
    I'm curious why you choose run your BS-2 at the end of your chain. Is that because you have the MDEQ in the front? Do you find you need an additional buffer at the end even though you're already running the MDEQ? I am asking because I was also considering the MDEQ and figured it has it decent buffer inside as a bonus to be a great eq.

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

The buffer should be the first device in the chain, except for some wahs and germanium fuzzes. No need for a second buffer in front of an amp.

9. erksin

erksin Member

I run a dual amp set-up, hence the BS-2. I bought the MDEQ after the BS-2 for the EQ part, don't need the buffer but I use it anyway...

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

True, the BS2 makes a great splitter.

11. cbpickin

Would the MDEQ serve as a sufficient buffer to drive my signal? Then I would have to put it right after my wah, essentially first in the chain right?

12. erksin

erksin Member

Yes to both, and if you use a Fuzz put the MDEQ after it too...

13. cbpickin

I guess my real question is if the buffer in the MDEQ compares equally in quality and tone to the buffer in the BS-2.

14. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I had buffered outputs built into the stereo outputs to the amps because even if though my Hotcake Bluesberry stays on close to up front, the four outputs spread across two amps may require an extra push and some go through a bit o' circuitry, almost entirely true bypass... also I had level controls added to the buffers so I could adjust loudness of each amp from the pedalboard, at least good for fine tuning.

15. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

I plan on using one of these at the end of my pedal chain to send the signal to two separate amps.
    [​IMG]
    Will this work as a buffer?

Here is some text from the website.
    "The Radial BigShot ABY Passive Switcher allows you to toggle between 2 guitar amps or play them both at the same time. Features a guitar input, a thru-put, and 2 outputs. Output B is equipped with a ground-lift and 180̊ polarity reverse. For active buffered circuits, an isolation transformer on output-B eliminates ground loops. 14-gauge steel construction."

It does mention buffer, but I am not sure if the meaning is the same?

16. erksin

erksin Member

It's not a buffer, just a splitter. Radial does make a buffer called the Dragster I think...

17. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

Radial makes a boost/buffer that's in that form factor now.

Roger Mayer makes nice buffers as well.

18. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

Would this serve the same purpose and work as a buffer and amp switcher at the end of the chain?
    [​IMG]

19. erksin

erksin Member

I own one - it's a splitter, not a switcher. Excellent buffer as well.

20. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

OK,
    Would a simple Boss NS-2 do the job if placed just before the switcher?

[​IMG]