Buffer pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by delay, Oct 10, 2006.

1. delay

delay Member

hey

does anyone know of any good buffer pedals??
    i saw this one from skrydstrup but it was a boost and a buffer together and i definately cant afford it.

so if anyone knows of any good buffer pedals then right what you know and give some info or a link or watever you please

thanks alot

2. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

Lovepedal made a great one for cheap. like $99

i got one when they had the blue COT sale

3. Seegs

Seegs Member

Had the Skrydstrup buffer and it altered my tone in a negative way...claimed to be trans****** and it ended up thinning out my tone and giving me a shrill high end...

I returned it for a refund highly dissapointed...

the buffer in my Klon altough not perfect is a pretty good one and I think for the time being I'm gonna stop looking for dedicated buffers and just live with the Klons...

I have been eyeing the Radial stuff with the drag control...the JDV mkIII(expensive) or the new PB-1 buffer/Bosster(reasonable) both look promising and when the funds are avaliable I may give them a whirl...

Chow,
    Seegs

4. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

5. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Consider the Antelope Morning Dew.
    Buffer and EQ combo.
    Absolutely first class construction and functionality.

But hurry, supplies are running out, apparently.

6. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Nothing active is truly transparent so any buffer will have some impact on your tone and feel. This said I was most impressed with the Barber Launch Pad as a signal buffer. I'd originally bought one to be used as a clean signal boost to push the front end of the amp harder. I found the Launch Pad, set for unity gain, to be very dynamic and uncolored. I did some A/B testing between the LP and a VHT Valvulator, an Axess BS-2 buffer, a Maxon OD808 in bypass (buffered bypass), and a 20' ProCo cable only (the baseline for my testing).

The Valvulator felt right but colored the signal - not in a bad way to my ears, just different than guitar->cable->amp. The Axess BS-2 just didn't suit me. It felt a bit compressed and colored the signal quite a bit. The Maxon OD808 was just like any Boss or Ibanez pedal in bypass - sounds OK but feels disconnected to me - dynamics seemed lost through this buffer. The Launch Pad, by comparison to the other buffers, felt very dynamic (the LP+ pedalboard+ 40' of cable felt, and sounded, alot like guitar->20'cable->amp to me) and the Launch Pad was the least colored of the buffers I tested.

If your looking for a 'transparent' signal buffer you should give the Barber Launch Pad a go. Nothing active is truly transparent but the Barber Launch Pad comes very close. YMMV as this is very subjective stuff. :)

7. landru64

landru64 Member

a buffer will inherently change the tone no matter how 'transparent' it seems to be, because of what it does to the impedance. it basically gives you back your 'fidelity' and then some... in my opinion too much. guitars weren't meant to be high fidelity. when you put a buffer into your chain, you make it 'clearer' than what a guitar sound should be. in a sense, buffers, aside from their colorations, can 'restore' too much. so this is why the radial stuff is a good choice because you can readjust it with the drag control to sound and feel more like you're going straight into the amp. on top of that, their buffer amps are very neutral and don't add as much of the typical hardness and 'glazed' sound that buffers typically add. it's well known in the pro audio business how neutral the radial stuff is.

the radial jdv mkIII is a DI. it does DI things, but as a buffer it's by far the best buffer i've tried. and the only buffer i've kept in my system. it's the first time i can say that i like my rig better unequivocally with the buffer in rather than out. i'd rather have none than any one i'd tried up to this point. i got mine for 225 used on ebay. at its new price of 399, it still smokes anything else out there. at the mid 200s it is a no brainer.

8. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Build one yourself, it's not worth spending much money on a couple of parts.

9. rabbit

rabbit Member

This makes me rethink whether I will need/want a buffer in the future. I am currently running just one buffer in my chain (Boss pedal) and I like the tone as it is - maybe because my board carries only 4 pedals in total and the rest being tb and just one vol pot (EB vol). I thought a dedicated buffer would make it sound better but if it does "too much" then I am ok with what I´ve got.

Another rather cheap buffer that looks promising:
    http://www.masottiamp.it/std-bbox.html

10. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

The good thing about building stuff yourself is that, if you know what you're doing, you can probably use better components than Boss. Boss would probably never use an opamp that costs 15 bucks, but you can.

11. rabbit

rabbit Member

The problem is, I am not very talented when it comes to electronics and diy... and I certainly do not know what I am doing. I once tried to build a simple tb box and failed.:jo I think it had to do with the orientation of the switch cause all the wiring was ok I think (???)

Ok, should stop now making a fool of me...

12. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Don't worry, you'll get used to it. I didn't know anything about electronics and it's a little bit better now.

13. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

If you have a buffer already, you don't need more. Once the signal is low impedence, it stays that way. It doesn't hurt anything to have more buffers, but it's not helping either.

14. erksin

erksin Member

My recommendation as well - the MDEQ is awesome.

I also have an Axess BS-2 in my board and it's great too. You can't go wrong with either box, IMO...

15. 88mm

88mm Member

Now don't laugh.

I have a DOD Bifet FX-10 that is great. I leave it on al the time. Very clean and clear. Bargain of a pedal.

16. tzamosti

tzamosti Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I have heard great things about the DOD bi fet. Looked at that, but found a decent deal on the Catalinbread SCP. Between that and Bad Bob, I am set for boosts. Plus, have a MDEQ that handles the buffering...think SCP is a buffer too.

17. Dendog

Dendog Member

Does the Boss TU2 have a buffer in it? I've heard conflicting stories.

18. rabbit

rabbit Member

Thanks for the reply. I know that one buffer is enough. The question I had in mind for some time now was whether the signal would sound better with the Boss in a tb looper and a dedicated buffer (like the Axess BS-2) at the beginning of the chain (although I like it as it is). But I think landru64 answered that question or, at least, makes me aware that just having a quality buffer doesn´t mean that it will sound "better" after all. Which might save me some money. That´s a good thing!

19. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Anybody tried the new MI Audio Boost-n-Buff?

20. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Yes.