buffer question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ezcomes, Jan 27, 2015.

1. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

rebuilding my board...i'm realizing that the pedals in front of my amp, minus the tuner are all TB...the tuner is a Korg DT-10...which is supposed to have a good buffer...

now that i'm rebuilding, b/c i got rid of a couple pedals/changing sounds a bit...there's no buffer at the front of my board anymore...

should I:
    1. leave the DT-10 where it is, and have the TB pedals (4) at the front, with the buffer and tuner at the end...
    2. go thru my TB wah into the DT-10 and thru the other three then to the amp...or
    3. I've got stuff to build a Cornish buffer, build that and stick it either at the very front, or right after the wah, and leave the 3 TB pedals in place with the DT-10 being the last pedal out with the Buffer...

i've always had the tuner at the end so that it could cut noise going to the amp (as a silencer)...but now with no buffer in front i'm wondering if i should have a buffer at the front or not worry about it so much...

thoughts?

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

1. Don't worry about it so much. A decent buffer anywhere in your chain (particularly as you have a smallish chain) should be fine. I guess unless you have 3' patch cables between each pedal or something.

2. I've read the Cornish buffers are actually designed to roll off some highs. Some like that; some don't. But adding a Cornish buffer might not restore anything. Apologies if what I read is wrong.

3. Not sure I understand the muting point. Unless the Korg works differently than most pedal tuners, it will mute when engaged regardless of whether it's at the beginning or end of the chain. So you should be able to move it to first in line if you like the buffer in front, and still have it mute when tuning. Apologies if I misunderstood that aspect.

4. Back to 1. Only you can tell what sounds good to you. If it sounds fine as presently configured, don't sweat it; it is fine.

3. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

With the tuner at the end of the board it will mute everything including any noise introduced by gain pedals, comps, etc. At the beginning of the board it will only mute the guitar, but not any noise coming from the pedals.

4. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I agree with MilwMark, it probably won't make a huge difference in your board because you are only talking a few pedals. If one of the pedals has a low input impedance it might help to have the buffer in front of it. I have experienced buffers that I didn't like in front of my dirt pedals (and some that have been fine), so I tend to have no buffered pedals until after my dirt.

I'd say try your tuner first and last and see if it makes a difference in your tone. If it doesn't, put it last so you can mute any pedal noise. If it sounds better first, then you have to decide whether you are alright with having it only mute the guitar. If not, then put it at the end and build/buy another buffer for the input of the board.

5. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I think buffer after wah/fuzz is fine. Do you have a delay and/or reverb pedal? If so, what kind?

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Good to know. Would not have expected that. I don't use a comp or high gain pedals. But if I ever do, now I know.

7. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

The only issue with this is that now you have all that noise going into your tuner, which if its substantial enough, your tuner will have a hard time giving you accurate readings, especially if modulation/pitch shifting pedals are in front of it, even when some of those are bypassed, they can still produce a 60 cycle type of modulated hum that interferes with tuning accuracy, but this is more likely to happen with pedals of lesser build quality. But if your mod/pitch pedals are active while tuning, your tuner will be confused for sure.

8. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

well...I'll try it as is...see what I think...I may just build the buffer anyways and try it out afterwards...

9. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Sure, you definitely have to turn your modulation pedals off! I've never had problems with dirt pedals. The advantage is that at the end of the song you can immediately mute the board so that it's quiet while you turn the pedals off and tune. If you have enough noise to interfere with tuning, think what it is going to sound like to everyone else if you leave the pedals on and only mute the guitar signal.

I agree, this will mostly be an issue with poorly designed pedals or power supplies, or people who use a ton of gain, though some vintage choruses and comps can be fairly noisy also.

The other issue is delay. If the tuner is very last it will also mute the delay and reverb trails, so you may want it between noisy gain pedals and delays and reverbs.

Of course you could always put the tuner at the front of the board and a mute switch at the end if you are having issues with the tuner later in the chain.

10. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

i did not even think of that...now that is an option...