Buffered bypass effect

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikeller, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mikeller

mikeller Member

My current effects chain that runs in the front of the amp consists of 6 pedals - all true bypass. I keep the pedal patches as short as possible (all GL) and use an 18' Mogami Gold from the pedals to amp and either a Line6 wireless or another 18' Mogami from guitar to board.

I notice a slight bit of tone change from running straight into the amp - do I need to put a buffered bypass pedal somewhere in that chain to preserve high's????

THanks

2. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

yeah edit: or just a buffer

3. chervokas

chervokas Member

A buffer's not going to do much for you if you're using the wireless...the wireless system is effectively a buffer, loading the guitar with it's input impedance and decoupling the devices and cable after it from the guitar. If you're going straight to the pedalboard and all the pedals are off, then yeah.

18 Ft of Mogami Gold, which is 39 pF/ft, to the first active device is sort of medium capacitance. You could also try lower capacitance cables. Like the similarly priced and constructed Gepco XBand which is less than 23 pF/ft.

4. stringman340

stringman340 Member

One quick fix will be to grab a BBE Sonic Maximizer pedal, I believe it goes for $99, stick it on the end of your chain (or experiment with placement). Does a fine job restoring highs and adding body if needed.

5. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

ah i missed the wireless bit. but if not going wireless, then yeah, a buffer is the thing