Buffers Q & A

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Jun 9, 2006.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I have some questions about buffers. My fender bassman has tons of punch when I plug my guitar straight in, but when I run through my pedaboard I notice a loss of the punch. My pedalboard is as follows: Tu-2>RMC Wizard Wah>OCD>Eternity>Honey Bee>Boss DD3. Is their any buffer that will make my amp sound as good as it does direct even while I'm playing through my board? Are dedicated buffers like an axess better than pedal buffers like a morning dew? Can you have two many buffers? Since my boss pedals have buffers already is this as good as it can get for me? I know there is a lot of questions but I would appreciate advice from more knowledgable axeslingers than myself. Thanks.

2. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

Are you using high quality cable to patch it all together? For me switching to better patch cables made a world of difference, more so than I've ever noticed with a couple of buffers.

3. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I'm using all george l's with gold plugs between pedals, and I'm using two 10' planet waves cords from guitar and two amp. Don't get me wrong my rig still sounds really good but I just want it to be the best it can be and I want some of that clean punch back. Thanks for the response.

4. landru64

landru64 Member

it will never sound or feel as good as when you are going straight in. i'm not sure what you mean by 'punch'. george l's if anything emphasize brightness and roll off the bass; before i took george l's off my board, my board was too bright and thin and harsh. i tried cornish buffers and all that. they restore some TONAL stuff (frequency response) that's lost but also rob the system of good feel and that nuanced touch response that an amp direct in will have. and i have found that most "uncolored" buffers do change the sound, mostly in adding a sort of hardness to the sound. the only thing, besides getting rid of george l's which i'd suggest immediately doing, that i found that came close was to use radial's drag control technology. it brings the feel and response back to the system by making the amp see a similar impedance to guitar pickups, as i understand it.

5. erksin

erksin Member

Your Boss pedals have decent buffers already, but you may want to try something like the MDEQ or Axess BS-2 - I have both (along with the buffer in my Jacques Prisoner delay) and they make quite a noticeable difference IMO. The MDEQ gives you the added bonus of a VERY useful EQ, so I'd give the nod to the Antelope...

edit - you might also look into getting the TU-2 out of your signal chain, I've heard guys saying it has a detremental effect sometimes.

6. laadeeda

laadeeda Member

You may want to consider doing two things - first isolate any of your effects that do not use hardwire bypass (a la boss) by using a loop box that you can send/return to and from these pedals. I do the same thing with a GCX. I purchased a keeley "japanese apartment" master loop selector box, put my ce2, bf2 (the worst of all), and turbo dist. in a loop all in bypass mode, and you would not believe the amount of tonw sucking that happens. The other thing that happens with those boxes is that some of them cannot handle having hot p/u's or a boost in front of them, and they produce a nasty, ratty distortion (again, even in bypass) Secondly, get yourself a buffer like the Barber Launch Pad or axess bs-2, and experiment with which pedals like or do not like the buffer, i.e. certain wahs and old style fuzzes you put before it, more modern fx can be used after it. Then after you've accomplished those three steps, use good cable to interconnect it all, preferrably something that has a very low capacitance (especially before the buffer, after not as crucial). Lava cable makes a new cable that is their own called a ELC that looks pretty good. Lot's of people like the George L's, but it's not the best for everything necessarily. When you take care of all of the shortcomings from every angle, the collective improvement to your sound will make you a very happy person!

7. sl1960a

sl1960a Supporting Member

Okay, I'll bite. Would adding TB loops help? I have the same issue (as I'm sure many others do). I know it will never sound as good as plugging straight in, but I too lose some of the tone/fullness/fatness/mojo when playing through my pedalboard as follows - ('60 strat or '66 tele or, '74 SG>Boss CS-3 w/MA H20 mod>HotCake>MA modded Boss GE-7>Boss CE-2>Boss NS2> modded MXR phase 90>Rivera BM60 combo/w1x12 cab.

Am I running too many Boss pedals? Are there too many buffers and they are messing things up? Would adding TB loops help?

8. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I find that any boss pedal (stock) for the most part will take away some elements of your playing dynamics. with that being said, on average I also think that 5 pedals is the limit that you can do without really impacting the tone to the point where its noticeable.

With the 5 pedal rule being said, I am not a believer in good buffers. Good is subjective, but I recently acquired a KLON and find it works well. I am currently running:

TU2->FDII->WAH->KLON->chorus_> Delay

Ok so its 6 pedals, but I find that the KLON maintains a nice signal, as the chorus and delays are TB.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

This is what works for me, I have no concept of the science behind that.

9. Den

Den Member

I've always kept my board to 5 or 6 pedals max as well. I Currently run all TB pedals with one Boss pedal (DD-20) which seems to cause no loss of tone ... I think it's buffer may actually help a bit. In the past, when I experimented with different combinations of pedals and noticed a significant loss of tone quality through the board:

1. I would first double check all cables & connections, swapping out cables as I went.

2. Remove one pedal at a time from the signal chain.

In each case, I was able to identify the culprit. Of course setting up some sort of quality looper helps control the tone suckers ... I just never want my board to get that big.