Buffers, true bypass, signal degradation... That stuff.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pulteney, Aug 19, 2019.

1. pulteney

pulteney Member

Say your signal is:

guitar >
    10’ cable >
    Diamond compressor (true bypass) >
    Digitech Whammy 5 (true bypass) >
    TC Polytune 3 (true bypass / buffer) >
    Fulltone Clyde (true bypass) >
    Fulltone Fat-Boost 3 (true bypass) >
    Dawner Prince Boonar (true bypass / trails mode) >
    EHX Deluxe Memory Man (bucket brigade device BBD) >
    Keeley Compressor/Limiter GC-2 (true bypass) >
    amp

To limit tone loss:
    1. Where would you put your tuner (with buffer)?
    2. Would you move the booster to the end of the chain? Writing about the FB-3, Mike Fuller said, "It makes up for all the tone loss that (even True-Bypass) pedals impart to your sound, especially if you‘re like me and have a lot of pedals on your pedalboard.".
    3. I am also considering a Fulltone 2B, again Mike F. wrote, "the 2B unity-gain JFET amp buffers your signal when the pedal is turned OFF...and when the 2B is turned ON". Do you think a 2B should be a better alternative to a Fat-Boost 3?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

3. cardinal

cardinal Member

The fears are that you'll progressively lose signal strength as it goes through all of those pedals and then into the amp. Buffer at the end helps drive the signal into the amp, but not through the FXs. Putting in in front of the FXs helps drive the signal through those but maybe there are some losses by the time it gets to the amp. So you could give it a shot in either spot or even test having some sort of buffer both early in the chain and toward the end.

pulteney likes this.
  4. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

If it’s at the end then the signal gets degraded by everything that it goes through before it hits the buffer.

If the buffer is first then it will drive the signal through the true bypass pedals and then to the amp.

Any effect that is turned on after the buffer takes over at that point and drives the signal itself but the guitar is still seeing the buffer first, and therefore not losing any signal.

5. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

A second buffer is redundant, but it won’t hurt anything.

6. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

the monkey wrench in buffering is fuzz. Fuzz doesnt so often like a buffer before it. If you like fuzz, I guess it pays to use a shorter chord from your guitar.

pulteney likes this.
  7. pulteney

pulteney Member

Thanks! I've been putting the compressor before the tuner to feed it a good signal to tune the b and high e. I guess I'll try putting the tuner first and also swapping the Fulltone 2B for the Fat-Boost 3, just to see what I like best.