Buffers

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Looking to hear about everybody's favorite dedicated buffers.

I currently have 2, a PettyJohn Predrive and an Empress Buffer+

Both are excellent, but couldn't be more different. Whereas the Empress is clear, articulate and defined....the Predrive oozes warmth and girth.

What do you use?

philamag87

Platinum Supporting Member
Boss TU-3
Boss TU-3W
Wampler Clean Buffer
Analogman

Looking at the Empress and/or Emerson.

71strat

Most of Roger Mayer pedals have Dual Bufferd Jacks, and 1 x Hardwired Jack. I have several of his pedals.
They are very clean, clear, and articulate. The pedals also have Dual Drive No Loss Splitters, and can drive 2 amplifiers and not lose signal.

Meriphew

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Suhr Buffer on both of my boards. Works great, is super compact, and built like a tank. My fave Buffer is my old VHT Valvulator, but it takes up too much real estate on my board, and weighs a lot.

jaymeister

I selected my buffers based upon transparency, when compared to a 10 foot cable between guitar and amp. I went through an exercise a few years ago, where I built a number of buffer curcuits to test at the beginning and end of my signal chain. The ones I tried were:

1) Road rage buffer
2) Cornish clone circuit on veroboard
3) A Klon buffer clone on veroboard

My verdict was that the Cornish and Road Rage buffers at the beginning of my signal path were the most transparent and restored my signal to almost as if I was plugging straight in. Having one at the end made no significant impact.

That's in my rig...YMMV

Trending Topics

Top Bottom