Bugera V22 high gain question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Johnny Ringo, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

I will tell you now I know very little when it comes to amps, I build guitars (basses actually) and that is we're my focus has been.

I wanted to know if anyone has any insight on this amp and if it is possible to make it a more high gain amp? I like the sound of amps like the 6505, Revv or Orange Dark terror. If I changed tubes would this give this type of response or is it something completely different, that gives the amp that kind of tone. Those amps appeal to me because they have a lot of gain but the tone seems to stay articulate. This amp in its current stock form does ok but you have to crank the volume way up to make it sound decent. Not sure if this is every tube amp or not, so bare with me.

I have had this amp since it came out even though I am a bass player but just this year I picked up a metal style 7 string Jackson guitar and I have fallen in love with it. I really like the tone and wide frequency range it can cover but want more from my amp.

Let me know what you think and if you all think I should get something else because this amp will not achieve my goals that is ok as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. xtian

xtian Member

From the V22 literature: "60s-era preamp provide everything from sweetly purring blues to mind-blowing crunch." So, no, this amp, by itself, is not going to give you the high gain sounds you want, and you're not going to get there without rebuilding the preamp.

Use some good pedals out in front!

Save up for the amp you want!

MrLahey likes this.
  3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Pedals out front.....

4. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

Let me ask this. Do you think the speaker is a good speaker for high gain playing? I was thinking about getting a Micro Dark atop the combo and plug the speaker into that amp. What do you think about this idea?

5. xtian

xtian Member

If you want The Metal, you'll probably want a closed-back cab. But for playing at home at low to medium levels, the V22 cab will probably sound just fine.

Johnny Ringo likes this.
  6. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

I know this is going to be subjective of a question but wanted to know if you think a tube screamer would achieve the high gain amp tone I am after with this amp? The pickups are high output humbuckers.

7. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

If anyone knows of another low cost OD pedal that can help get the amp to go to 11 and yet retain articulation let me know.

8. xtian

xtian Member

This guy is playing thru a Fender Deluxe Reverb...

Johnny Ringo and RussB like this.
  9. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

That is a very non-TGP pedal, but it is a great pedal anyways. I find all the hardwire pedals to be quite good

Johnny Ringo likes this.
  10. garret

garret Member

I have this pedal.

It's a better version of the Boss MT-2 but same exact controls.

The Digitech can provide a more modern voicing but it has its own tone regardless of the gain setting.

Johnny Ringo likes this.
  11. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

Does anyone know if you can use a 12at7 in the 12ax7 slots? I heard a sound clip with a 12at7 and it had a lot more gain than 12ax7. Since this amp runs 3 pre tubes, which ones are for high gain tone?

12. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

13. wall_of_sleep

wall_of_sleep Member

There are quite a few gain stages in the drive channel of the V22 on paper. A lot of gain stages working together in the preamp is the long and the short of what all of your high gain amps are going to give you.

If you can't find a distortion pedal to boost you to where you need, maybe look into presence control options and noise gates. Presence will boost highs, tweak mids, and tighten bass. A gate pedal will tighten everything. Think like an ISP Decimator or Boss

14. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

A gate pedal won't really tighten your sound, you might be thinking of a compressor?

To the OP: While an amp designed to produce high gain sounds will always sound better, you can get really good results with just a dirt pedal in front of your V22.

I've had great results with a Suhr Riot, or a MI Audio crunch box.

15. wall_of_sleep

wall_of_sleep Member

I'd wager a compressor won't do a lot since we're already heavily compressed at distortion.
    The sound of guitar punching through a gate has application to modern metal styles. "Punchy" or "tight" are all I've got to describe the catch and release from a gate.
    I can't find a lot of example videos but there's this.

16. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

With this being said then the 12ax7 should give the higher gain/drive over the others?

17. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

18. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

I found a Sovtek tube from an old bass amp I had changed out years ago. I tried it in the V22 and it made a big difference not great not bad but different. The original tubes are very loud and bright almost harsh. The Sovtek is way more warm and smooth more fuzz tone I think. Gave it a doom metal tone. This was in the V1 slot. So I moved it to the second slot and it gave a more balanced tone with factory tube in the v1 slot. It brought back the highs but not as harsh as before. The more I play this amp the more I like its tone and think it has plenty of gain and the clean channel on this amp is killer.

I have been talking to amplified parts and they recommend the tong soul and Mullard for bringing the gain out a little more in slot 1. I am thinking of getting one of each and try different combinations of them all. I am now wanting to know if I should change the pi tube. I had read one article that says the pi tube is the hardest working tube in the amp. It also said 12ax7 are not the best option for the pi slot and recommended other 9 pin options. Not sure about this.

I am still wanting to get the Orange micro dark for that killer tone it has but I am really loving this amp more and more.

19. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

This pedal is the shite!

Johnny Ringo likes this.
  20. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

I am with you on this. It sounds a little to artificial. May sound good in a band mix but not what I am looking for.