Bugerra

backaxe17

Any thoughts on the Bugerra combos? I hear they're made by Berhenger, bit as usual, the reviews vary. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

cliffenstein

Search "Bugera" on this and many other message boards. You will see mostly positive remarks on their sound and mostly negative remarks on their reliability.

mmkco

I have 2. I have one of the old 333XL 2x12 Combos(one that burned up due to the bad Molex Connectors that were used in the beginning). I got it for 65 bucks because the tech offered to sell it for his labor to repair it. It was gonna be tossed. He also sold me an empty headshell so I have turned it into a Wonky (Its upside down) Head with 2x12 cab(with Celestion Vintage 30's) I honestly LOVE this amp!! It can do a lot. I use the clean channel with a TS-9, a CoolCat Transparent overdrive and a JHS Prestige Buffer/ Booster. All that goes in to the LOW gain input. It's a really nice low gain blues sound. The cleans are really nice to my ears as well. So you also have the crunch and the lead channel. Both of those can do some really serious gain if you want it. I run a TC Nova System through the loop(The combo of the EQ setting on the Nova and the JHS Buffer set at the end of my OD chain(into the fron end) really enhances the sound. Since I bought this I have had to have a bad solder joint diagnosed and repaired. 1 set of tube replacements and I think I've had it about 7 years now. I would not gig this without a backup I don't think, but I am just a bedroom player.
I also Have a V5(old one). This was a cheap investment. I like it and then I don't. I can get some nice cleans but it needs an EQ pedal to brighten it up. For Overdriven sounds I have never found anything that made me think "This could be my only amp." Not huge on the amps OD sound by itself. I have tried a TS9(808), Danelectro Transparent OD, and a Keeley Prince of tone and (to me) the V5 can sound good but not great. I'm keeping it tho because I keep hoping I'll find the right dirt pedal to pair it with. They make some decent sounding amps that are pretty affordable. Hope this helps your quest a bit.

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
I have a few students who own recent model V22 combos... they love them... I think they sound quite good.. they seemed to have fixed past issues the early ones had... great tube amps for the $$$

S. F. Sorrow

Been using a V55HD (head) for over 5 years. No experience with the combo, just 4x12s. Bought it as a back up and ended up really liking it. Use it more than I planned. It's got vintage preamp tubes in there now and sounds great! Just a simple clean & powerful 50w platform.
It's taken a few serious rolls (because it's top heavy) in the back of my Matrix hatchback with the seats down - no problems.
Yeah, it's cheaply built but sounds fantastic.

Floyd Eye

If you can't afford the real thing, Bugera has a clone of it. It's made with cheaper parts and cheaper labor and has a much higher failure rate and may be unethical, but who cares. Save yourself a few bucks. When it dies throw it in the trash and buy another one because it will cost you more to fix it than it will to just buy another one. :)

guitarman3001

If you can't afford the real thing, Bugera has a clone of it. It's made with cheaper parts and cheaper labor and has a much higher failure rate and may be unethical, but who cares. Save yourself a few bucks. When it dies throw it in the trash and buy another one because it will cost you more to fix it than it will to just buy another one. :)

Nothing unethical about it. No worse than the outright circuit theft committed by every pedal company that has ever made a tubescreamer clone or any amp company that has ever made a Marshall or Fender or Vox or Dumble clone. Unless you have some strange double standard by which copying circuits is acceptable if you steal the design in order to make expensive copies of it but it's unacceptable to make affordable copies of it.

I thought we had already moved past this here. I guess not...

Floyd Eye

Nothing unethical about it. No worse than the outright circuit theft committed by every pedal company that has ever made a tubescreamer clone or any amp company that has ever made a Marshall or Fender or Vox or Dumble clone. Unless you have some strange double standard by which copying circuits is acceptable if you steal the design in order to make expensive copies of it but it's unacceptable to make affordable copies of it.

I thought we had already moved past this here. I guess not...

" MAY be unethical".

I was under the impression they took copyrighted designs and changed them just enough to be legal. Legality is a fixed parameter, ethical is not.

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
" MAY be unethical".

I was under the impression they took copyrighted designs and changed them just enough to be legal. Legality is a fixed parameter, ethical is not.
Amp builders have been doing this since the 60's starting with Marshall copying the Fender Bassman circuit, and its more prevalent now than ever

guitarman3001

" MAY be unethical".

Circuits are not copyrighted. As for changing them "just enough", companies like Fuchs, Germino, Ceriatone, and a million others copy amps and amp circuits 100% and people here rave about them. It boggles the mind seeing how when those companies do it, it's a great thing, but when a company like Bugera does it, suddenly it's unethical.

And again what about the hundreds, maybe thousands, of tubescreamer clones?

Last edited:

Floyd Eye

Circuits are not copyrighted. As for changing them "just enough", companies like Fuchs, Germino, Ceriatone, and a million others copy amps and amp circuits 100% and people here rave about them. It boggles the mind seeing how when those companies do it, it's a great thing, but when a company like Bugera does it, suddenly it's unethical.

You seen the part where I said MAY be unethical right? That is for you as a consumer to decide. I gotta say, my number one reason for not buying Behringer/Bugera gear is not an ethical dilemma.

Bomon

I have a small Bugera-infinity v5. As it came ... stock ... has its good points ... sort of "champ-is" but not quite as it is. But it has some cool features that add to the appeal ... 5,1 and half watt power .... I unplug the stock speaker and plug in some other vintage speakers I have (variety of sizes and colors) and wow .. or a low-to medium dirt pedal ... like my OCD .. and now we are having fun. Haven't swapped out any tubes in it yet ... but likely will. With an old 60s alnico 12 inch .... its a beast of a blues machine ... nothing added ... put the OCD into action ... and its all sorts of tone-fun. Low vol and recording low-vol-guitar-surfing. Like the man above said ... if it takes a dive.... not a huge loss ... but in three years ... not an issue ... I have one of the 2nd generations .... better everything. I've ridden it pretty hard, but not for long periods - I have "other" tools and toys ... that need my attention. Not plugging the amp ... there's lots of cool alternatives out there and coming out by the week. ....

Buduranus2

Silver Supporting Member
They're great amps until they're not. Then you just pull the salvageable parts and throw the chassis in the trash.

Not quite sure about the statement that circuits are not copyrighted. I'm not up on all the various aspects of copyright / copyleft aspects of electronic design.

50+ years ago, tube manufacturers produced example circuits in order to help sell their tubes. Fender used those examples and so did others.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom