Build A Tele, or just save my pennies?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Shades of Blue, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

Ive found a demo 60s AO for $1350, so I may go that route. The American Professional in sonic gray is $1200 so not sure what to do...

2. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

Building a partscaster is something everyone should do. However, I’m one and three right now. My tele build is my number one but my two Strat builds were not so pleasing.

3. B Vance

B Vance Member

I've played a lot of teles and have owned a fair share as well - some Fender, some boutique before I tried to build one on my own from parts.

First build was a US Custom Guitars body and neck with Lollar Charlie Christian pickups. Came together extremely well. It easily rivals Fender Custom Shop and top-level boutique guitars I've owned and played. Thin nitro finish. Got the bug after the first one and put two more together, both from MJT - neck and bodies. One, a pine Esquire and the other an alder La Cabronita, both with maple necks. They both came together well too. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again for any bolt-on neck guitar. Definitely the most economic way to get exactly what you want.

After body, neck, electronics and hardware you may be hard-pressed to get in under $1,000 but you could certainly get in under $1,500.