Build a TGP approved board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by murraythek, Feb 7, 2015.

1. murraythek

murraythek Member

Looking for some opinions here on what you would consider to be a best of board based on your experiences. Something that would cover the full spectrum from classic rock to today's indie rock. Perhaps if you had to start from scratch what would you put together?

2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Timmy and 4 H9s.

3. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

I think we're talking a serious, no holds barred khakis, polo shirt & penny loafer type board.

I kid, I kid.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  4. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Your board looks pretty good, what's wrong with it?
    Looking to do a clean sweep and start over?

5. djluis48

djluis48 Member

This. If you really like delays, you could add a Timeline.

6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Based on my years of addiction here, I've come up with this:

[​IMG]

I could easily substitute my WFRI and Analogman silver OD9 for the Landgraffs and be just as happy, but this is TGP, right?

7. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

A TGP-approved pedalboard would likely be a quarter mile long, and change every six weeks. :crazyguy

8. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

Individual pedals work differently depending on the guitar, amp, and other pedal interactions. It's all subjective. But what I can say with confidence is that there are a few pedal builders of whom I've never had a problem with their pedals interacting poorly with any other piece of equipment. I would be happy to build a board with any piece of gear from AnalogMan or Diamond pedals.

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The board would have at least 2 open spot waiting for pedals that are en route.
    By the time they arrive, the newest Spaceman will be out, and another SUF muff clone will be a better fit. Plus, it will need to alternate between 3 delays and 2, depending on how many reverbs are on that day.

10. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

Overdrive: The "Cranky Chain Yanker" - A $400 hand-painted Tube Screamer clone assembled by a former custodian at GC. Maker: Goingoutofbusinesssoon Electronics.

Fuzz: The "Arresting Officer" - A $200 fuzz made from $10 in parts on Mom's kitchen table after dinner. Custom-designed battery holder fashioned from leftover napkins. Maker: Jeezmomcan'tyouknock Guitar Electronics Company.

Delay: The "Thirsty Lemon Echodrop" - A $300 digital/analog hybrid delay carefully worded in advertising to make people think it's an all-analog circuit. Maker: Rarefied Air Pedal Company.

Chorus: The "Seasick Dirtybird Sailor" - A $250 Chorus pedal constructed by someone still struggling with the differences between pitch, amplitude, and phase modulation. Maker: Sendyourmoneyupfrontandwewilldisappearwithit Pedal Factory.

11. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

Reclaimed barnwood or Bubinga?

12. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

:agree

Sorry but don't worry about what's right to TGP but what's right for you. If you're trying to emulate a tone or specific sound, find the pedal (guitar or amp) upon doing your research that best suits the situation and go for it :aok

13. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Member

Wow! Awesome question (timely too) as that's exactly what my plans for 2014-15 happen to have been.

And, I take "TGP Approved" to mean "what do those who post here think?" And from Classic Rock to Indie (which is a wide field: Classic Rock being Chuck Berry, The Beatles, The Who, Jimi, Creedence, MC5, Black Sabbath, Eddie Cochran, Television, Floyd, Van Halen, Turtles, ACDC...and Indie being Talking Heads, Jarvis Cocker, Sonic Youth, Ride, Wilco, Sugar Cubes, REM, Tame Impala, Temples, Black Moth Super Rainbow, St. Vincent, Dum Dum Girls, Conner Oberst, Courtney Barnett...), I'm guessing you mean the wide range of all "good" rock-n-roll LOL.

Regardless, there are some areas that I think everyone should consider (and some you should strongly consider). Rather than specific pedals, it's specific types of pedals that hit my head: Wah (maybe), Fuzz (maybe), Overdrive (definitely), Distortion (maybe), Octave (maybe), Mod: Rotary/Phaser/Chorus/Flanger (all maybe), Delay (definitely), Reverb (maybe) and Tremolo (definitely).

For me, Classic Rock is swampy-surf and psychedelic to proto-metal and proto-punk and Indie is shoegaze and baroque pop to alt-country and psych-wave. So, I have two boards: one small fish - one big fish.

Small Fish: Way Huge Pork Loin -> Wampler Hot Wired v2 -> Mad Professor Forest Green -> TC Alter Ego v1 -> Boss DM3 -> TC Hall of Fame -> Boss TR2*

Big Fish: Wilson Effects Stoned Grasshopper -> Wampler Ego -> EHX POG v1 -> Strymon Ola -> Xotic AC+ Plus -> Way Huge Supa Puss** -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Mr. Black Supermoon -> Strymon Flint

* In the small fish, I like the warm volume drop of the Boss Tremolo.
    **In the big fish, the Supa Puss could make way for either the Alter Ego X4 or the Strymon El Capistan (but it ain't broke, so's I ain't fixin' it)

And as others have said, "Best is what best suits you," and "(it) depends on the guitars, amps and pedal interactions." I agree whole-heartedly. Best is, of course, a highly subjective term. What matters is that what you have works for what you want to do.

What I have works for me. I have a blast with either board, any of my three guitars...through any of my three amps. (I believe three to be a magical number, unless you suggest I rebuild my third, bait-fish board---she's been canibalized---and my wallet doesn't like the idea of rebuilding her.)

Amps: Fender 59' Bassman LTD, Vox Night Train v1 and Fender 65' Champ.
    Guitars: 90s American Standard Strat (with VVG SP90s and Fat-O-Caster wiring), a reissue Chinese Starcaster (w/ Lollar Regal Wide-Range HBs and late 50s PAF Les Paul-schematic wiring) and a 90s Korean Emperor Regent (w/ Lollar Jimmy Smith miniHB)

Sorry for the edit, but I've also found, especially on the road, that reliability is also key. This is the reason why my amps are simple, without onboard features, and my pedal boards have a bit of redundancy. Additionally, low-cost doesn't necessarily mean cheap.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  14. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

impossible. no matter what pedals you pick there will be 10 + pages of guys telling you why you are wrong and what they use is better.

15. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

Just so long as you never leave the house with it

16. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

haw haw haw

17. thecornman

thecornman Member

All Boss for sure!

18. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Oh, then I'm out cause mine was out last night and is getting packed up to head out again in about an hour.