build me a pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TenThumbs, Feb 23, 2012.

1. TenThumbs

TenThumbs Member

Looking to build my first pedal board. Play mostly rock and blues and already have the following:

OCD
    Wah pedal
    78 MXR custom
    Keeley Modified Tube Screamer

What gaps should I fill in?? Have a limited budget so nothing like a Klon is going on the board. Not married to any of the pedals I currently own so willing to sell off to acquire something that is a better fit.

Thanks!

2. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

I think what you have is great. What kind of wah are you running?

I use the OCD for all my rock and blues needs. It's a very fine pedal.
    What's the MXR Custom? Is that a phaser?
    Keeley toobscreemer, always good, can't go wrong there. I assume that's boosting the OCD or maybe vice versa?

I think you just have to play around with it all and see how you need to use each piece, what if anything you need to fill in, etc. I might recommend some kind of delay for some of the modern sounds, slapback action, etc., but certainly that's not to say run right out and buy one. Delay pedals are nice but not necessary at all. You could pick up a Boss DD-whatever for pretty cheap if you really wanted to I suppose.

I always say "keep it simple" and I don't use many pedals. About the same number of pedals you currently have is what I run (basically replace the MXR pedal with a delay).

I think you're good to go personally. I'd rock it for a while and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Chris

3. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

What do you sound like? Is there a particular tone you're going after?

Reverb and delay can be fun, but not necessary, for blues. I wouldn't use if you're going into cranked amps.

Maybe consider some fuzz?

It's a deep rabbit hole you're entering with an open ended question like that ;)

4. TenThumbs

TenThumbs Member

Guitarz1972...appreciate the input...will start looking for a delay pedal promptly.

As for who I sound like...great question and I really don't have a good answer unfortunately. I play through a Swart STR and a Traynor YGM-3 mostly (through in a Princeton and 5E3 clone from time to time) if that helps define the tone I try to produce.

And I agree, the rabbit hole could be rather deep on such a question; but that is what makes TGP so fun...isn't it?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. twostring

twostring Member

I build rigs for guys all the time and they always hit me with the same "what do I need" question. It's not a simple one.

1. What do you want to sound like?
    2. Are you satisfied with the sound of your guitar straight into your amp?
    3. Are you using pedals but don't like the sound/feel/overall effect?
    4. What's your budget?
    5. Do you want to have an aircraft carrier at your feet or do you want to keep it small?

This is usually where I start with clients, but the conversation always goes for a couple of hours while we tweak and talk about the guitars and amps without the effects involved. I'll usually tweak guitars to get them behaving in a predictable manner, and then I'll tackle the amps. Effects are always the last part I touch, even though every client wants to focus on that first.

Truthfully, the "what I need" question is what we always keep asking ourselves. My answer was to limit myself. If I can't fit it on a PT-2, it doesn't hit the stage or studio. Amps are always circulating depending on if I know what I'm walking in to or not (country, blues, rock, metal...I actually did hip-hop sessions for a bit for some guys that wanted some Tom Morello stuff too).

Answer these questions, and always have your end goal in mind no matter if you can hit it in 1 month or 10 years.

6. jjsurma

jjsurma Member

@twostring: What a refreshing answer. I like how you think.