Build my own amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GAD, Aug 28, 2008.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking I'd like to build my own amp.

I've got 30 years of soldering experience, I know the difference between a good solder joint and a cold solder joint. I have very nice soldering gear and know how to use it. I have built many other things including high-voltage nixie tube clocks, so I know the dangers.

So are there any well regarded kits or open source plans out there? Ideally I'd like a kit that has all the parts already, but if I need to scrounge up some NOS components that can be half the fun.

Thanks,

GAD

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've heard good things about: Allen Amps kits, Mission, Mojo and SDG Vintage now offers kits, too.

3. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Do it, it's easy and fun...

There are lots of kits......

If you like Marshall, it's hard to beat Metropoulos (they may seem expensive at first blush, but you'd have a hard time sourcing the same quality parts for less).

The GDS 18 watt is also a great kit if that's the way you want to go.

Hiwatt, Vintage Hiwatt Restorations.... Same as above. All top quality parts and I defy you to find them for less......

Fender, I've never built one, but I am sure that there are a bunch of good ones.

Ceriatone kits are great too.

The Weber kits are not bad, but are often not close to the original schematic/layout, and some of the parts leave a little to be desired. They can definitely yield a usable amp though......

I've built several amps, both from kits and from scratch, and i can tell you that the kit is the way to go. It saves 10 different shipping charges and scrounging for parts, not to mention delaying the build because you forgot a $.12 resistor on the last 3 Mouser orders!

4. Structo

Structo Member

+1 on a kit.

Like the other guys said, what style of amp do you want?
    Fender or Marshall?

Brown Note also sells kits.
    I built the D'Lite 44 which is a lite version of a Dumble overdrive special.

I like the amp a lot and it's my main go to amp now. I run 6L6 power tubes in it and it gets plenty loud enough to gig with.

http://www.brownnote.net/

5. bobefann

bobefann Member

metroamps are good

6. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Look into the Egnater Amp Building series...you have the soldering skills,.. you'll get your kit, and learn alot more from the experience.....

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

:roll ya.. I've done this, too!! :eek: :BEER
    ---------------------------------

GAD, with your background, get a quality kit and get busy! :D

8. phalanges

phalanges Member

Brown Note 'been berry berry good for me.

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

My brother has been building guitars for the past 10 years and decided to build an amp. He went with an AX84. I believe they have a website with full support and different models to build. He's built about 5 amps in a few months. Given, he's retired but i'm just sayin that he had no experience and he's built some pretty cool sounding amps with more to come.

10. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Here's the site. I briefly read a few things and they are willing to help beginners!

http://www.ax84.com/

11. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

LOL....

Yup.... My current build is a Hiwatt DR504 variation. I bought a straight DR504 kit from VHR, and so far, only one Mouser and one Metro order for stuff I needed for the Jimmy Page/SAP preamp.

I am also gonna use 4 JJ 6V6s with a half power switch (kills the cathode to ground connection on 2 tubes). It's also getting an effects loop and some other little changes.....

12. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I like the switchable gain stage in the preamp. Jimmy certainly got some great tone from his! This will be my first non standard Hiwatt. I am looking forward to getting it done......

13. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

For your first build I would recomend something simpler than complicated.

14. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

It is fun. I've made many for myself and for others. Not cheap unless you recycle chassis and iron, but its fun.

DS

15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I liked that comment.. " So Far".. Let me know how this works out :D

Shame we cant get simple parts local anymore. Locally we have two electronics stores left. Radio inc. which is slowly dropping stock levels, and Affiliated Electronics.. mostly recovered parts all in a pile in boxes on the shelf.

This is what I need to build next, great idea! I really like the 6v6's tones and I always wanted to add or remove power. Great project! I may do one this winter, and winter is coming on fast.

Thanks for sharin the info!