Build my pedalboard!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sosomething, Jan 25, 2006.

1. sosomething

sosomething Member

I can think of no better place to ask for advice on what I should put on my pedalboard, so here goes.

I play lead and rhythm in a 2-guitar rock band (to be fair, I'd have to call it rock/old punk/indie/thrash, but I think you get the picture) and so far the only pedal I use at all is a Korg DT-10 tuner. My live rig is an early-model Splawn Pro Mod and Splawn 4x12 and I love the tones I get from it. They're more "me" than any other amp I've ever owned so I'm not really looking to change/augment the things it already does incredibly well (Overdrive and full-on metal distortion) but I would like to have a few more specific tones available.

The tones I'd like to have are:
    • Chimey Clean (The Splawn doesn't really "chime")
    • Wailing Vai-type Metal Lead (A slightly wet sound, delayed, possibly with a very understated modulation effect)
    • Fat Smooth Clean Lead
    • Raunchy Low-Octave-Added rhythm
    • Super-Ambient (something big and washy that can sit in the background and create vibe while the other guitarist does something more conventional)
    I'm pretty sure I'll need a good comp, delay, EQ, verb, octaver, and modulation box, but I don't have a whole lot of experience with big effects chains and a little time spent researching here and on pedalgeek.com has raised more questions than it has answers. I'm sure I'll also need a gate and something like a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power. Boutique or no makes little difference to me - I just want the tones, I don't care about the names. I'm also not interested in a multifx processor at this time, but I really need some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think you're looking for some great sounds, but I'm a little uncertain you can get them with the Splawn mod. To sort that out, is there any clean from it and if so, what's wrong with it?

3. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Chimey Clean - Maybe the Jangle Box compressor.

4. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

For Vibe stuff. I don't know if you can find them anymore check out JT Pedals V-Trem. It is the reason I have a pedal board, the sounds on JTpedals.com don't even begin to show the potential of this pedal.

5. sosomething

sosomething Member

I'm actually pretty confident that I can get them - the only one that will be tough is actually the simplest tone - chimey clean. The Pro Mod does have a clean channel that can sound pretty good with the right pickups, but even a slightly hot signal is going to give you a little hair. It's not that big of a deal - I can play lightly and all my guitars have volume knobs, and an EQ pedal in the loop can probably smooth out any rough spots.

The biggest challenge I face is knowing what pedals will work well with a Marshall-esque high gain amp. I've checked out many effects that really seem more geared towards Fender and Vox - sounding amps, (a lot of Barber stuff, for example) and I don't know how well they would work with my Splawn.

6. asdf

asdf Member

+1 on the Jangle Box

7. sosomething

sosomething Member

Thanks, I'll check one out. Who makes it?

8. asdf

asdf Member

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

For modulation, I have yet to hear anything more pleasant than a voodoo labs microvibe. You can check one out at your local guitar store chain.

10. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

When I think "Chimey Clean" I think Blackface Fender. If that's what you're looking for the Barber Barb E.Q. is Killer. Only problem is they've been hard to get.

First thing that comes to mind for a Super Ambient tone, Big & Washy that can sit in the background, is the HK Tube Rotosphere.

11. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

For jangle I'd go Keeley Comp, plus RC Booster. A Janglebox would possibly eliminate the need for the RC, but oh the tone you can get with a Ross clone and a clean boost with a touch of extra treble.

12. asdf

asdf Member

The Sea Blue E.Q. by BJF Electronics has been written up thoroughly, you might wanna check one out by simply searching it on here, you'll turn up tons of stuff.

13. sosomething

sosomething Member

Thanks guys - I've got some research to do now. Does anyone have a favorite octave pedal they'd like to mention? I'm looking for 1-octave-down added, not a higher one.

14. Wooley

Wooley Member

For Octave down, I think there are only a few out there. The Foxrox Octron and the Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer come to mind. I used to have the EH, and I really liked it. It died to punish me for using ebay.

15. sosomething

sosomething Member

Thanks - The EH is the one I was looking at. If they both have a similar tone, I'll probably just go with the one with the smaller footprint.

16. jeswin123

jeswin123 Member

I get a wide variety of tones with my setup. From surfy clean to downright mean. I use the LTD for light gain/clean boost, the DD for AC/DC type rhythm sound, the Metal Muff for heavy, and Fuzzfactory for sonic insanity. My MagicStomp does any modulation/delay/ambience I need. I don't use a compressor, it's just not for me personally, but Barber's Tone Press is great if you want that type of sound.