• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Build thread: Hollow singlecut

pukko

I figured maybe someone would like to see a build thread from an amateur builder. If I'm posting this in the wrong forum please move it to the right one...

This will be my sixth build. It all started in Chicago. I was visiting relatives and bought a set of Seymour Duncan P-Rails just because they were so cheap (half the price compared to here in Sweden...). I didn't really have any use for them at the time but I figured they would be cool to have just in case...

Later I went to a Swedish guitar show and bought a Graphtech Resomax wraparound bridge. Liked the way it looked... And it was on sale. I definitely didn't have any use for that on any of my guitars. I guess I had to build one for this stuff then...

I found some mahogany and birch lying around from past builds and made a neck blank out of it. It wasn't long enough on it's own to make a neck from so I cut off a piece and scarfed it on for a headstock.

After that the combination of late night whisky and credit card in hand resulted in buying this:

I bought a mahogany body blank from a fellow Swedish builder, no pics of that though. Forgot about that... And an ebony fretboard.

Here's a pic of the neck. I've routed the truss rod channel and here I'm shaping the headstock. I haven't routed the straight lines on the neck yet:

Body (still not hollowed out) and neck together:

Here's another pic of the body. I cut it out on the band saw and shaped it with sanding drums in an electric drill on a stand. The pic shows how I drill out most of the wood with a Forstner bit:

I then routed out the cavities at a shallow depth. I did this for two reasons: I routed it freehand so I only took out enough to be able to sand the inner edges smooth and then use them as a guide for the router bit. I also didn't want to go too deep since I was going to put contours on the back of the body. You can see that I'm leaving wood where the bridge is going to sit, I'm going to remove some wood between the neck and bridge later on when I figure out how to mount the pickups.

Gluing the maple top:

Shaping the back of the body. First I rounded the edges with the router:

Out came my trusty Morakniv (classic Swedish allround use knife), files and sandpaper. Here I'm carving the bellycut with the knife. I already shaped the other side of the waist to make it comfortable for the leg:

Sanded smooth:

And finally some shaping of the cutaway:

That's about as far as I have gotten right now...

sksmith66

very similar to my current build:

sorry for the crappy pic. I suck at taking pictures in the shop.

scott

Silver Supporting Member
Cool pukko, I can't wait to see what you do with this one.
Love the floor in your shop btw:)

pukko

>>TwoTubMan
:beer

>>stashman
Thanks! It will be a long slow process...

>>sksmith66
Looking good! Tell me more, what are you building?

>>scott
Thanks! Ha ha, "shop"! That's my kitchen floor... I'll have to inform my wife that it is now officially a workshop. Or maybe she's already convinced that it is, finding mahogany shavings in the coffee cups...

sksmith66

>>sksmith66
Looking good! Tell me more, what are you building?
it's basically what would happen if a telecaster and an archtop had a baby. sort of similar to a gibson cs-336 but a single-cut. 2 inch thick mahogany body hollowed at as seen above. it is roughly the size of a telecaster, but about an inch wider and with a more rounded bottom end like a 335. a nicely figured carved maple top. carved back that matches profile of carved top. maple neck bolt on but with a 17 degree angled head stock. rosewood board. PRS scale length. tune-o-matic bridge with an archtop style trapeze tailpiece carved out of wenge. wenge pickguard. two seth lover humbuckers.

unfortunately I am really busy with all kinds of things that have nothing to do with guitar building so I've been building it for nearly 10 months and don't expect to finish it any time soon. maybe if I am lucky the paint will be dry by march of next year.

pukko

it's basically what would happen if a telecaster and an archtop had a baby. sort of similar to a gibson cs-336 but a single-cut. 2 inch thick mahogany body hollowed at as seen above. it is roughly the size of a telecaster, but about an inch wider and with a more rounded bottom end like a 335. a nicely figured carved maple top. carved back that matches profile of carved top. maple neck bolt on but with a 17 degree angled head stock. rosewood board. PRS scale length. tune-o-matic bridge with an archtop style trapeze tailpiece carved out of wenge. wenge pickguard. two seth lover humbuckers.

unfortunately I am really busy with all kinds of things that have nothing to do with guitar building so I've been building it for nearly 10 months and don't expect to finish it any time soon. maybe if I am lucky the paint will be dry by march of next year.
That sounds interesting! I'm doing a 25" scale on this one too, I have a PRS Custom and I like the feel of that neck. Are you carving the inside of the top too? I know the feeling of not having enough time... Work and family takes up most of the time.

>>Jimbo
Thanks!

The bear

Tjenare!
Nice to see some more Swedish builders(I am rom Norway).
Your guitar looks great so far, singlecut hollows are right up in my alley.

pukko

Tjenare!
Nice to see some more Swedish builders(I am rom Norway).
Your guitar looks great so far, singlecut hollows are right up in my alley.
Tackar för det! (="thanks for that" in Swedish for you non-Scandinavians...)
Do you build too?

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
Looks really good! Wish I had the ability, and resources /shop equipement to start something like that, with an large 55 year old Carribean (not sure of origen, but know my parents bought it while on a cruise in '57, believe it's Honduran, but I was only 4-5, and they took a few cruises, besides the one that included the Honduras) Mahogany coffe table.

Will probably end up having it made into two to four guitars (two bodies and necks or four bodies) by a favored builder or builders to yet be named, assuming it's decent tone wood.

pukko

Hi!
Jeg bygger ikke, men spiller mye.( I don't build but play a lot!)
That actually sounds much wiser... And I hear you play really well!

Looks great so far man, looking forward to the updates as you progress! :D
Thanks!

Looks really good! Wish I had the ability, and resources /shop equipement to start something like that, with an large 55 year old Carribean (not sure of origen, but know my parents bought it while on a cruise in '57, believe it's Honduran, but I was only 4-5, and they took a few cruises, besides the one that included the Honduras) Mahogany coffe table.

Will probably end up having it made into two to four guitars (two bodies and necks or four bodies) by a favored builder or builders to yet be named, assuming it's decent tone wood.
Thank you! That's some cool recycling of material you're planning! I wish I could find some furniture like that in my family... What type of guitar are you thinking about using the wood for?

Very cool guitar. How thick are the back and sides?
Thanks! The sides are 17 mm (around 11/16" I think) and the back is 20 mm (around 25/32") right now but now that I have contoured the back I can remove some more wood from the inside of the back. The sides will stay this thickness to give a large enough glue area around the edges.

got my eyes on this one! lykke til!
Thanks!

Moved to proper forum.
Cool build!
Thanks! I didn't know which forum was the right one, sorry!

pukko

Got some more work done this weekend...

Ebony headplate:

Headstock shape cut out and glued:

There we go:

Edges trimmed:

And with the ebony fretboard cut and trimmed (not glued yet):

Trending Topics

Top Bottom