build your own fs-6 dual footswitch (sort of)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kingnimrod, Apr 23, 2008.

1. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

after buying an expensive boss fs-6 dual footswitch for my rc-50 loopstation, I realized that my homemade tap tempo pedal worked as well but WAY cheaper. The caveat is that my version does not have switchable polarity and cannot be made to latch, but it works wonderfully at controlling the rc-50 and as a tap tempo for other pedals.

I returned the fs-6 and built a couple of stereo units, which are easy to make and don't need batteries.

All it takes is a couple of momentary softpush switches, a stereo 1/4" jack and an enclosure. Well, wires and solder too.

If anyone's interested, I can post photos and a diagram later.

Just sitting in the parking lot surfing the iPhone while my wife shops.....

2. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

sure - post away!

3. Phillip_H

Phillip_H Supporting Member

I'm about to build a single tap tempo switch - I'd like to see how you did yours.

4. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

here it is. If you are using this with an RC-50, you'll need to experiment with which jack lugs give you #1 and #2 control pedal functions.

Also, if you use a stereo 1/4" cable that does a "Y" Split to tip and sleeve, then you can control separate units.

[​IMG]

I'm just using the Radio Shack soft-push switches because I like the feel for tap-tempo. They aren't the sturdiest. Just use whichever SPST normally open momentary switch you want...

5. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

wow, is that really it??? that's way cool!!! and i can find all these things at radio shack? costs?

6. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

yes, that's all that's needed to send signals for the RC-50, and it can also be used for tap tempo with other stuff. I am making another one with one stereo jack and one mono jack, so I can use it is a dual mono tap tempo pedal in certain situations.

cost should run around $10 or so, depending on how much the enclosure is. The switches are $3 apiece, and the jacks are $1.50 apiece.

you won't find the hammond box at radio shack, but they sell the switches and the stereo jack (not switchcraft).

I use an Irwin multibit to bore the holes in the enclosure.

7. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

just built a second one with 2 jacks - one stereo and one mono. It's essentially exactly the same as the diagram above, but with an additional mono jack - so one switch has the lugs wired to both jacks.

Doing this allows you to control both a function of the RC-50 and, for example, the tap tempo of another pedal. If I set the control function on the RC-50 to tap tempo for that switch, and run the mono jack to the control pedal input of my DD-20, that single switch can set the tempo for both devices at the same time.... cool.

8. Lynchsandman

Lynchsandman Member

Good job. I was just thinking of making one to synch 2 DD-5s or a DD-5 and a DD-7 with one switch (a common Hillsong delay trick).

Thanks for the info.

9. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

anyone else making something like this? the search function doesn't work on short phrases like "fs-6"

10. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i made a tap tempo single.... i want to mod it to have dual outputs, but i don't have need for that right now on my board.

11. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

if you go to radio shack though, get the ones like he shows here. i got the thinner one with the black plastic top to it. its hooooorrible. the red one works great though. but then i upped it to the the fast and quiet momentary switches small bear sells. works wonders

12. Phillip_H

Phillip_H Supporting Member

Yeah, those soft touch SPST switches are really nice.