Build your own microphone

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Mayo5, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Mayo5

Mayo5 Supporting Member

Hey,

Tried searching didn't really see anything on this site, or I could have not had it properly phrased.

Has anyone built their own microphones, or used a kit like Rickshaw's? Just curious of the quality,and difficulty. Building pedals is quite fun but I'm now getting the bug to record some things.

Thanks for any advice from experience.

2. newswede

newswede Member

I accidentally did last night as I was making an iRig style input for my iPad. :) Not what I wanted though!

I've never seen it discussed here, but I'm sure there are some other audio forums that cater to that more. Sorry I can't help more.

3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

You would have to source capsules, transformers or IC output stages, tubes and/or FET gain stages and associated electronics and housings (bodies).

Some of it you can get (capsules and transformers), doubt it on the bodies.

Never seen a mic "kit".

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'm nearly finished with a DIY mic. Working on the head basket now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jmoose

jmoose Member

There are a handful of plans floating around for DIY omni condensers... most built around the Panasonic omni capsules and the now ancient Tape Op article.

http://recordinghacks.com/articles/how-to-build-a-microphone/

I'm not really aware of too many other DIY plans, at least for condensers but yaaknow... if you know how mics work then you could start with almost any transducer, like a speaker or busted set of headphones and build something around that.

6. WKG

WKG Member

I've modified mics but never built one. Sounds like it would be a challenge, not sure if I have that much geek in me...:bonk

7. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I have racks full of DIY under my belt and this mic was the most rewarding of any project, perhaps because it tapped multiple engineering disciplines. There wasn't anything especially challenging though. The tough parts were done by IO Audio and Beez Neez. In case you were wondering, it's arguably the best sounding mic I own.

Here's another shot with the head basket added. Now I only need to disassemble it, make it look pretty and reassemble.

[​IMG]

8. WKG

WKG Member

Pretty cool. Someday when I find a bit more time I think I'd like to tackle one.