• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Building a 5fa 6 circuit bassman

SAVOIE

I've been reading up on circuits and electronics figuring out what all the parts jobs are inside amps, I have a schematic for the 5fa 6 circuit and plan on making this my new project over the next while. I have the basic means of building. Can I get some tips? Good places to get the parts that really effect tone besides tubes. Where to start!

teletroy

hoffman amps , has probably everything you need. webervst.com would also have everything- you can get a complete kit including speakers and cabinet for $650. If you needed everything, I'd start with that, and then upgrade anything you want after it's all done. I've used his transformers on plenty of amps, but you can always upgrade those.

Good luck and enjoy! That was the first amp I scratch built 15+ years ago, it's a lot easier to find parts now than it was then :)

SAVOIE

id rather not build from a kit to be honest, if i found a transformer that does the same job as the one in the schematic only it isnt vintage style, or if it converts the volts to higher than needed and i compensate for this elsewhere in the circuit, is this going to effect my tone? id rather it sound like something from the 50s... without killing myself in the process.

lgehrig4

Good luck man! I'm doing the exact thing myself. I bought MM trannys and I am going buy the parts as I learn more about the different brands of Caps and resistors. If you haven't checked already, turretboards.com is a good place to start. Thats where I'll be purchasing my board for sure.

Also, this book should be helpful since you are building a 5F6-A. Probably a great source to learn everything there is to know about this circuit.

maxwedge

I'd buy the chassis and circuit boards from Weber and then pick your parts as you like. That's what I did with a Twin Reverb build. I bought my transformers directly from Mercury Magnetics but Weber's prices for those are cheaper $.
Angela's, already mentioned, has a lot of great parts and I really like their wire, tolex and grill cloth if you're going to build your own cabinet.

And Check out Antique Electronic Supply, https://secure.tubesandmore.com/, they will have the resistors and caps you need.

Trending Topics