Building a budget vinyl setup

rbrogan

I've been wanting a record player for nearly a decade now, never had the space/time/money to get it going. But 2017 is there year it's going to happen. Right now I'm leaning towards either a U-Turn Audio Orbit Basic with the phono preamp or an Audio Techica AT-LP120 for the record player. Also considering the Denon DP300F with an upgraded cartridge, all of these options seem like a reasonable way to start. I'm kind of lost on the speakers/receiver end. I'd like to keep the whole deal under $600, and I don't need a ton of power.

On the speakers, I was considering going with the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, they're under $100 for the pair. And then finding a decent used receiver. I've also considered going the powered speaker route, but not sure where to start there. I have no expectation to have some sort of audiophile set up for my budget, but I'm hoping to cobble together a decent sounding set up that I can enjoy some records on.

So, any recommendations?

NotWesYet

I recently purchased these for $550. Have not had time to set up the turntable yet. A Yamaha MCR-232BL Micro Component System and a TEAC TN-300 Analog Turntable with Built-in Phono Pre-amplifier & USB Digital Output. Got the stereo at accessories4less.com

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Denon Turntable and the speakers you mentioned. I run an old Onkyo stereo receiver and also have an old Sansui receiver. One is 15 watts per side and the other is 30 watts per side. I found each of the receivers for $100 or less. I enjoy listening to my vinyl with this gear.

rbrogan

I have the Denon Turntable and the speakers you mentioned. I run an old Onkyo stereo receiver and also have an old Sansui receiver. One is 15 watts per side and the other is 30 watts per side. I found each of the receivers for $100 or less. I enjoy listening to my vinyl with this gear.
This is where I'm leaning right now, seems like you can get decent deals on older receivers.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
I got one of the walnut U-Turn Orbits right before xmas! It's my 2nd turntable and I'm very pleased with it, excellent sound and well built.

I run mine through an old recapped Marantz 2230 and a pair of MTX speakers. I also stream with an Apple Airport Express through the Marantz.

LanEvo

Audio Engine A2 powered speakers sound great and cost only $250

Pair them with the UTurn Orbit and you'll be happy.

Juppstein

My setup is a Teac TN300 turntable connected to the line in of a Sonos Play 5. This solved all my requirements I had:

Good quality speakers
Google Play Music integration
Radio station support via Tunein
Turntable via line in
Ability to cast and control from a tablet or phone to the Sonos

Line in on the Sonos has a nice feature that it activates and switches to it as soon as there is a signal coming in and then switches back automatically to the internal system after the signal has stopped.

Alan Dunn

My setup is a Teac TN300 turntable connected to the line in of a Sonos Play 5. This solved all my requirements I had:

Good quality speakers
Turntable via line in

Line in on the Sonos has a nice feature that it activates and switches to it as soon as there is a signal coming in and then switches back automatically to the internal system after the signal has stopped.
Great setup. The TN300 looks good as well and awesome feature set on it - pretty much a case of buy it plug it in and enjoy - no upgrades required.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
That Sonus gear is top notch stuff! I installed a lot of it when I did AV install work.

Good quality speakers
Turntable via line in

Juppstein

Great setup. The TN300 looks good as well and awesome feature set on it - pretty much a case of buy it plug it in and enjoy - no upgrades required.
True. The only upgrade I could think of for the Teac would be to replace the stock cartridge with an Ortofon 2M blue, thus going from magnetic coil to moving magnet. But so far the base setup sounds good enough to me.

0018g

Old Marantz, vintage turntable with new cartridge and tune up, and I like to build speaker kits for bang-for-the-buck. Old Sansui receivers are also awesome.

Have you looked into DIY flat pack speaker kits? Can be good bang for your buck.

My bedroom setup is an old 1700 Mac with a set of DIY Overnight Sensations and a vintage Phillips TT. $400 in the whole shebang. Sounds darn good if you don't get wound up on volume.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
It amazes me that people buy from thrift stores and what not. Most of the time they are scratched beyond. I use to return record that were warped or even had unnecessary pops and click or just a pour pressing. Now people buy crap vinyl and the praises of oooh and ahhh are still there. But it must sound like Crap/annoying. If you by Vinyl and its in the $500 and under bin, it is toast. Why bother?

spence

Silver Supporting Member
teleman1,
I think they're talking about buying stereo gear from thrift shops, not vinyl. I recently got a pair of beautiful JBL L166 Horizon speakers at my local thrift shop for $60. As far as vinyl, you can get it anywhere, but you gotta look at it before you buy that's for sure.

Sigmund Floyd

Silver Supporting Member
I'd suggest getting the best you can afford and keeping it analog. That's why used can be good- get into a better piece of gear for the money BUT- with turntables it can get a little tricky. It there's issues with the table one can decide to go back to all CD's pretty quick. Many of these "bargains" are more like headaches. MusicDirect is a good source of gear. Audiogon and USAudioMart, Audiokarma.. all have deals on used gear. A separate phono preamp can be a big upgrade. Good speakers are key... duh. There is something to be said for a good vintage receiver like a Marantz 2245 or Luxman R-1030 and their phono sections paired with some decent speakers.... but testing them is important so they don't need cap work etc. When I heard a "better" system I realize a bit clearer as to what's going on and why the gear matters, how an incredible soundstage can be created and things come to life in stereo, how the singer sounds like he/she is straight in front of you and practically in the room. If chosen wisely, I think a darn good used system can be had for about $1000, give or take. For $3000 quite a good end system is buildable with some used gear. The learning curve is steep and expensive, that's why I say get the best you can afford. With a good system the gains then become quite a bit smaller- in other words, a decent system can get someone 95% of the way there, or more. I'm fortunate to have a friend who is a real audiophile and has guided me as to gear to acquire.

trumpus

Silver Supporting Member

Good quality speakers
Turntable via line in

So the Play 5 has a line in? My Play 3 doesn't - bummer...might have to upgrade. It looks like the line in is a 1/8" plug - do you just run the L/R --> 1/8"?

Juppstein

So the Play 5 has a line in? My Play 3 doesn't - bummer...might have to upgrade. It looks like the line in is a 1/8" plug - do you just run the L/R --> 1/8"?
Correct. I just got a cable going from RCA stereo to 1/8" and that was it. The rest was configured in the Sonos software.

Trending Topics