Building a dual looper ... some questions left.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rabbit, Feb 14, 2006.

1. rabbit

rabbit Member

Hello fellow forumites. I´m about to build a dual looper from a construction kit. One thing that struck me was the thickness of the enclosed cables. They are about 1mm/0,03937 inch thick.

Is that the normal size used in pedals?

I´m not sure if there is a relationship between the size of a cable and it´s capability to preserve your signal but I somehow hesitate to send my signal through these cables. This looper is supposed to improve my signal!!! Would you use these cables (in a looper)?

BTW: Since I´m not shure whether I will make it to finish the looper right, could you post pics of the inside of your diy loopers? That would be a great help. Thanks

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Here's the first one I ever made. I use 22 AWG wire now, but I think this one was made with 20 AWG. There's a plastic shield insulating the battery.
    [​IMG]

See Mogami for info about wire gauges.

3. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Here's another go at the same thing...
    [​IMG]

4. rabbit

rabbit Member

Thank you so much for the info.

I guessed that it would become crowded in the box but that´s even more than I though it would get :( .
    Your cables look much thicker than mine.

That´s a sort of a/b looper to switch between the two loops only, isn´t it?

Would you recommend installing a second switch (for switching both loops independently) in there and leave out the battery?

5. dosmun

dosmun Member

The wire should be fine. But,
    If you are really worried just buy a little heavier wire.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you look inside many of the "boutique" pedals we love, they're using that same super-thin wire (although they're obviously doing a very sanitary job of lead dress and solder)...

7. rabbit

rabbit Member

The looper might even be easier to build using the super thin cables, they are more flexible/ductile. I going to post a pic of the cables next week or so (I don´t have my camera here at the moment) and we can draw a better conclusion whether to use those cables or not. I anyways have to drill the holes first etc. etc. So stay tuned.

Please keep on posting pics of your loopers...
    Thanks and best regards

8. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I would suspect that you're probably using a bigger box than this one anyway. (Hammond 1590BB?) So you should have room for both switches and a battery. Yes; this is a pic of my Dual Loop pedal, which switches between two loops. I find it much more practical in a gigging situation than two separately-selectable loops.

22 AWG is my favorite gauge wire for stompboxes. It's thick enough to stay where you bend it, but just thin enough to fit into the terminals of a 3PDT switch. The wire in these pictures is 20 AWG, and I had to trim a strand off the ends to fit it into the switch terminals.

9. rabbit

rabbit Member

No, actually I want to use a b-sized box (so called "mxr-size") and make it some sort of Dave Boggs´ 2Loooper. I am a bit limited by space on my board but would like two seperate loops.

Battery operation is not so important to me, size is. Would you recommend soldering with all the components installed or assemble everthing outside the box and than build it in? I´m sorry if I ask stupid questions but this is my first diy pedal project (and I somehow suspect that it´s going to be more difficult than I thought). So PLEASE help me out. Thanx
    :BEER

10. rabbit

rabbit Member

Some introductions and hot tipps are higly appreciated as well. I like the idea of avoiding the common diy-beginner´s mistakes...

11. dosmun

dosmun Member

If you bought the kit from a reputable place I amsure the wire is OK. As far as tips go the biggest problem I could see you having is getting the lugs on the switch too hot. You have to be very careful of the lugs as the stuff that holds them in place can melt and you will ruin the switch.

12. rabbit

rabbit Member

News from the looper project,

First of all, i´d like to apologize since it took some time taking the promised picture since I didn´t have my cam here for some time.

To recap what this thread was all about…

My initial question was whether I should use very thin gauged wire for my looper. It was enclosed in the looper kit I bought but I thought it might suck tone.
    This is what the wire looks like:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Some of you already encouraged me to use it and also a friend of mine, who is an electrician, sayed that thin wire should be even better since there is less resistance with thin cables (at least that´s how I understood that). Although I´m quite sure that I´m going to give it a try I am interested in what you think!

13. TomK

TomK Member

You are worrying too much about this. At the current / voltage levels in a pedal the wire gauge will have practically no effect. Use what is easiest to build with. 22-24 guage wire is ideal.

14. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

is there a website that tells you how to make a looper?

15. dosmun

dosmun Member

16. rabbit

rabbit Member

Yes, I´m definitely going to built it with the enclosed cables. I forgot to mention:

Due to some advice here and to the first layouting I did, I decided to build just a single looper in my Hammond B-box (Timmy size) and not a dual looper. Beginning with an easier project can´t be wrong…

Also had the first success and built a signal muter. Wonder what that is? You just need an input jack and a box, built it in and that´s it. Mutes your signal perfectly…:)
    [​IMG]
    I´m kidding of course, already installed the jacks... Thanks everyone for your help. I´ll report back when this thing is finished...