1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Building a Jazzmaster - What Non-Jazzmaster Pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by timmers, May 16, 2011.

1. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

Gear Page Tone Gurus -

Here's the deal: I'm building a Jazzmaster-ish guitar, but don't want to use the traditional Jazzmaster-style pickup (I have another JM that has these tones covered). I'm thinking I'd like to pop some humbuckers in there, but am lost in the vast array of available choices.

I play: all styles, but mainly get gigs in roots, indie pop/rock, Americana-ish, blues

Looking for: humbucker or other style pickup with "vintage-y" (low) output, good clarity and snap, rolls off well.

Shoot me any ideas, if you're feeling so inclined! THANKS!

2. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

WCR pickups, my main guitar is a Les Paul with Godwoods, they accomplish all your criteria mentioned.

http://www.wcrguitar.com/

3. Fab4ever

Fab4ever Member

Gretsch Filtertrons or TV Jones Classics!

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

How about Lee Ranaldo's idea of Wide Range buckers?

[​IMG]

Agreed, Filtertrons look cool too:

[​IMG]

Dunno what that bridge is, or even what you'd call this offset at this point, but the neck is a Lace Alumitone, and looks killer:

[​IMG]

5. Virtual Pariah

Virtual Pariah Member

P-Rails.

Then you can re-purpose the switching options.

6. Ciroxin

Ciroxin Member

I would try mini humbuckers. I am actually deciding on buying one amazing Jazzmaster body made of poplar with maple/brazilian rosewood neck with mini hums in it. Amazing guitar but I definitely do not need it. The thing is that the guy who is selling it is the best luthier around with almost cult following and this is one of his personal guitars!

Oh my... GAS is strong as always.

7. Jahn

8. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups are exactly what you need. Here's the link. I use them and love them...and we play somewhat similar music.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage/sh55_seth_lover/

You're welcome in advance, you can thank me later. ;)

9. zastruga

zastruga Member

I'm in the process of building this, based off an idea from an OSG forum member:

Edit: Forgot to mention, the pups are TV Jones Classics. Don't have the rest of the guitar yet, but I put the pickups in a Les Paul knock off for the time being and they sound fantastic. Definitely a long way from the normal Jazzmaster pickups, if that's what you're going for.

[​IMG]

Would also be cool to put Jaguar pickups in a Jazzmaster, though that's not straying TOO far from the norm.

10. zastruga

zastruga Member

Or what about three Jaguar pickups in a Strat configuration?

11. Jahn

I did something close to that with a Bass VI build, used Area noiseless strat pickups so there's your humbucking type thing right there, but still a "low wind" sound. And bingo, that selector lets you get all the strat pickup selections including the quacky 2 and 4 positions!

[​IMG]

12. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

What kind of wood are you using for neck and body? Surprised no one asked this before giving advice about pickups, especially over here, where 'tone' is king. :munch
    I have a custom, mahogany Jazzmaster myself in which I popped a p90 at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge, both low to medium output. The middle position sounds surprisingly open, but it still has all the balls on the neck and bridge position you'd expect.
    I've had a TV Classic/Classic+ combo as well. Neck was pretty clear sounding, almost too much so. Bridge had a nice balanced mid growl to it, but the middle position was a bit dull sounding. Wouldn't recommend it with these wood types.

On my traditional alder/maple JM, I've had different kinds of pickups and must say: the closest to traditional (Novak JM-V neck and JM Fat bridge) sound absolutely stellar. Didn't care for the JM90 people rave about, too compressed.

No experience, but absolutely confident they will sound great: the new Widebucker offerings from Novak and the likes.

13. TonyD

TonyD Member

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Tri-sonics would be cool. JM meets BM!

15. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Get a pair of p-rails, even with the split shot rings.

It will give you Jazzmaster/Tele/Strat tones and plenty of others. With the rings, its pretty easy to get ALL tonal options out of the p-rails. (series/parallel/rail/p90).

Pics from another forum...
    [​IMG]

16. sricabla

sricabla Member

17. small axe

small axe Member

18. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Firebirds are really cool! They get it done.
    [​IMG]