Building a keyboard speaker cab

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dmizesr, Dec 23, 2014.

1. dmizesr

dmizesr Member

Hey there, I have a Crate 4x12 cab that was originally for guitar. I'd like to make something specifically for keyboard, more specifically for (most of the time) piano and some B3 sounding organ. Can anyone recommend a speaker (x4) that I can put in the cab that will give me a decent sound? I'm sure I will have some sort of standard amp head (300-600 watts or so) with little or no processing.

I hope that's sufficient detail AND an intelligent question. Thanks in advance for the help.

DWM

2. PushedGlass

PushedGlass Member

I don't think that's a good approach for keyboard unless you're going for how e.g. Fender Rhodeses were amplified back in the 60s and 70s. I will say that "clonewheel" organs, on the other hand, sound lifeless when run through full-range PAs or proper keyboard amps.

Using a 4x12 guitar cab is so sub-optimal for keyboard that I really don't feel like it matters a whole lot what you use - let power-handling be your guide and just don't spend a lot.

3. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I would look at some full range P.A. speakers. Guitar and bass speakers are usually not very flat even if they extend into the upper and lower frequencies of the keyboard. The 4x12 wouldn't be the best cabinet option available, but I'm sure you could make it work if you're on a budget.

4. SeanF

SeanF Member

the Eminence Beta 12-CX is a full-range 12" when combined with the matching horn, and appropriate crossover. It's not a dirt-cheap solution, but probably the most cost-effective way to get full range out of that cab.

5. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

It's a makeshift solution, but if you are restrained in your budget and want to use as much as possible of what you already have, you can do this:

1) get a horn for mids/highs, house it in its own cabinet, and also the crossover.

This way you simplify wiring: you plug into the horn cabinet, crossover sends highs to horn and mid/lows to 4x12.
    Remember to wire a protection lamp in series with the horn.

2) stuff the 4x12 with some damping material.
    Cabinet internal resonances do not hurt a guitar, in fact add some "voice" or "character" but make voice and keyboards boxy, nasal or honky.

Sound will be quite acceptable, you'll lack deep bass.

Buying 4 new 12"speakers does not make much economic sense, if you are into spending use those $$$ straight into something keyboard specific.

FWIW many low end Keyboard amps (think Peavey KB 60 and similar offerings by Fender, Laney, Crate or Marshall) use nothing more complicated than a "guitar speaker" plus a cheap Piezo ... and they are quite usable.

You'll have the same, just much louder ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  6. SeanF

SeanF Member