Building a Man Cave in the Basement - how to display my guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Andrew., Jul 18, 2019.

1. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Thanks!

She's fine with most things, only instrument that seems to bother her are saxophones and drums when they're in the room, playback of them is fine though. She's a rescue bird with some quirks and she gets separation anxiety if I try to leave her in the room her cage is in and she can hear me doing something in the next room, so most rooms have somewhere she can sit and hang out!

ur2funky and Tommy Biggs like this.
  2. Kostas

Kostas Member

Agree, a couple days out and I can see the dust on the guitar no matter how often I clean the room. I have two stands so when I play I can have two guitars for immediate reach, when I finish the guitars go back in their cases.

Bluesful likes this.
  3. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I've never had an issue with guitars out of their cases. Bottom line, I buy them to enjoy them, and I get more pleasure seeing them out than I would a rack of cases. Also when I'm recording I like to be able to pick things on a whim and try them for a part without messing about pulling things in and out of cases every few minutes.

I figure the average high end vintage dealer has hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of vintage gear on their walls, and my apartment is a lot safer than a high street shop floor.

Top tip for dusting, buy a water colour paintbrush with a wide head - ideal for getting dust out from under strings on the headstock and round the back of the pickguard!

4. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I have 2 Eclectus birds with the separation anxiety thing happening at the moment. One bird needs to go in a different room when I play loud, but she whistles along. The male likes the heavy stuff and fies in and out of the room I'm playing in if I'm playing loud. The volume doesn't bother him. He starts dancing and flapping his wings. I've had birds all my life, so they get spoiled and get lots of attention.

Tommy Biggs, Ace1432 and Jayyj like this.
  5. LTigh

LTigh Member

Wall hangers or custom display cabinets. Anything to keep the occasional stray feral child away from your guitars, resulting in expensive repairs, a murderous urge to punt said feral child into the next yard, followed by much cursing at aforementioned feral child's irresponsible, overly indulgent Gen-X parents, concluding with said irresponsible parents being uninvited to the homestead.

Don't make the same mistakes I did.

Jerome likes this.
  6. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Aw! Mine likes to be involved if I'm playing - she'll sit on my knee staring intently at the strings. The violin is the only one she doesn't like, because my shoulder is her spot and she doesn't like interlopers getting to be up there while she's being ignored!

This one had been kept in an 18" square cage in a pet shop for over a year and the couple of times I saw them try to take her out she'd cling to the bars in terror, so she wasn't in a good place when I got her, but she's gradually come out of her shell and she's a sweet bird. We're still working on flying - she was clipped on one side when I got her so whenever something scared her she'd take off and immediately crash, so although she has the full feather compliment now she's scared of being in the air. That said, if she was confident flying to me she'd be glued to me 24 hours a day!

My only experience of handling birds before her was having occasionally helped out with birds of prey so it was a steep learning curve, but I've found myself far better suited to having a cuddly bird that doesn't want to kill things (well, except violins).

7. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Easy access, kind'a :aok

[​IMG]

But seriously, it’s about the same as leaving them in their cases, at least to me....my guitars are meant to be played, and if it’s in the case, it doesn’t get played.
    I have a combination of multi-racks and triple stands, and a single stand for whatever one is being used at the moment.
    I like being able to choose any of my ~20 at any time.
    My work space is on one side, and music space is one the other side of the room. I work a while, then play a while, back and forth when I’m in the shop vs out on road service calls. It’s the perfect work environment for me.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  8. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

This made me laugh.

Exactly. Never found dust or fret corrosion to be major problems. Dust can be removed in seconds. Fret corrosion can be cleaned up easily with Gorgomyte or a fret eraser during a string change.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Da Geezer, Tommy Biggs and Jayyj like this.
  9. Stike

Stike Member

I know the genie ain't going back in the bottle but that term is so damn lame.

Crazyquilt, CanuckChris, TFR and 3 others like this.
  10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

My music room is for playing, not show.

So 2-4 on stands, the rest in cases on the shelf. Dust, UV, etc., can certainly be issues long term.

Tommy Biggs and halcyon like this.
  11. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

I love String Swing wall hangers (mounted into studs or into a substantial board that is mounted into studs, never just into drywall) for several reasons. Mainly because the guitars are right at hand and easy to grab and play. But secondarily because the guitars are up and out of the way. I have amps below my wall hanging guitars.

Jugghaid, Flatscan, TFR and 1 other person like this.
  12. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

I have the Diamond Life hangers. The problem is that the shorter hangers are never available so I have long hangers and the guitars are like a foot away from the wall. My wife bought it for me for Xmas several years ago and was very proud of herself, but between you on TGP and me, I don't like it.

I have 15 guitars displayed around my office...4 on the Diamond Life, the rest on individual hangers. Some of the sturdier ones do double duty as Telecaster headstocks are not hanger friendly, so I hang them from the straps behind another guitar. It works as long as the hanger is really secure. I would love to have some of the display methods posted here...damn.

13. Family Man

Family Man Silver Supporting Member

I love that display cabinet. I just may have to copy that idea.

Jayyj likes this.
  14. LarryWallwart

LarryWallwart Member

when I hear basement, I think humidity. I hope you have a dehumidifier and I hope it's set on the right setting for your guitars.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

I agree :aok

Cheddar Kung Pao likes this.
  16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for store guitars in their cases.

Fenderesq likes this.
  17. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

I would counter my guitars are for playing, not show, so they stay out where they're readily accessible. UV and dust don't scare me! :p

Jayyj, RayRay and christophervolume like this.
  18. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

To quote the mighty Van Halen, Hang ‘em High!!

Make sure you attach them to studs, or better yet get a nice piece of wood and attach the Hager’s directly to that; Hercules Hangers for the win.

[​IMG]

19. bryan83

bryan83 Member

I recommend a nice wooden stand to display the one (or two) your currently playing. Some of the setups mentioned above are nice but having 20 guitars out in your cave just makes it look too busy, aesthetically speaking.

Just my opinion tho.

Jon Silberman likes this.
  20. Jignant

Jignant Member

Hercules + wall stud FTW...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If I had more room, they would all be on the wall, ready to play!
    Love looking at the guitar rooms here!!! Good stuff!

CanuckChris likes this.