Building a Man Cave in the Basement - how to display my guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Andrew., Jul 18, 2019.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Not what I was meaning at all.

2. rxguitars

rxguitars Supporting Member

I had a case built but moved back to simple wall hangers because it encouraged me to play them more.

RayRay likes this.
  3. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

It's the IKEA Hemnes range - it's uncannily perfect for displaying 335 type guitars!

RayRay and Family Man like this.
  4. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

It's the best thing about being Gen X, the pleasure of sitting back and watching boomers and millennials taking chunks out of each other whilst we can just slouch about being all moody and existential.

Boomers: blame everything on the millennial!
    Millenials: no, it's all the boomer's fault!
    Gen X: like, what's the point anyway, dude?

5. tlgvintage

tlgvintage Supporting Member

I’m going to throw everyone a curveball here...I personally believe it’s possible to take care of your guitars AND have them out! The only time mine go in a case is when I’m headed to a show, and even then I use a GIG BAG. In my music room I keep them on a rack & stands (the walls are that 70’s faux wood paneling that I painted over)...in the living room I have two hangers on the wall for easy sitting around and noodling access.

martin garlitos and RayRay like this.
  6. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I have never heard of a guitar falling from a hanger mounted into a stud. I guess if you are drunk and don't put it back straight, it could fall, or if you have one of those guitars with marble or cement bodies... I'm just trying to think of what might cause one to fall... a big earthquake might do it... a car crashing through your house... I guess there are possibilities but they are not very likely. Just make sure you use the stud as the torque on plain drywall is too much and they may eventually fall. I wish they stopped including those drywall inserts with the hangers so people wouldn't try that. The string swing hangers I have are perfectly fine for any finish as well as some Hercules hangers. I have a 3 guitar Hercules stand but I only use it when necessary as it's easier to bump something like that if you dont have a great spot for it. I do not use any single guitar stands.

7. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I would keep a tape measure handy just in case you get any visitors to your man cave. They might want to check out your scale length. Particularly if you have a baritone hanging around. Not many guys do, but a few lucky ones have them and know how to use ....i mean play them.

8. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

Is this your music room or music store?!?! Amazing! Soo much stuff, but displayed very artfully. Some really great guitar choices too. Fantastic. You win!!!

bsacamano likes this.
  9. markmann

markmann Member

I keep all of my players out for easy access. To me, cases are for taking them out of the house. If a guitar is getting dusty it's not a player.

Crazyquilt, PBGas, ur2funky and 2 others like this.
  10. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Is the bird real or is it a statue? :p
    I haven't seen a reel to reel since '76. Impressive. ;)
    Nice collection btw. :D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Jayyj likes this.
  11. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

12. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

She's real! She likes to hang out when I'm being musical.

13. Andrew.

Andrew. Member

I really like that - a lot.

Unrelated, but who's the F-105 Thunderchief Pilot in that black and white photo at the bottom?

14. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Good eye.
    My father was a Thud pilot; 74 missions over North Vietnam (and a few non-counters over Laos & Cambodia) before he was shot down while strafing Tiger Island.
    Bailed out, good chute, body not recovered even though SAR was on site within minutes.

https://www.vvmf.org/wall-of-faces-profile/

http://34tfsthuds.us/resources/Pictures/A-F/Beresik_Eugene_P.pdf

15. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

I use a combination of wall hangers and stands, etc. This is about 1/3rd of the room (1/6th of my basement)....and about 1/2 my instruments. Some are at my 2 rehearsal studios.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  16. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Birds love music (and are extremely smart). Mine sing along and sometimes flap their wings as I play. The two have different taste in music though. A few days ago they kept wanting me to play and I wore through the top 2 layers of one of my calluses. As I'm typing now, one is talking in his sleep.

Jayyj likes this.
  17. Metlupass2

Metlupass2 Silver Supporting Member

18. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

I hang them on walls. Out in the open for easy access. I actually have an opposite experience. I left my guitar in their cases because I didn't have room for them to hang and the metals started to tarnish and the finish started to checked. Out in the open they are air dried. LOL. Sure they get dusty but you can always wipe it off. If they do get tarnish its not the end they are just guitars. Here are my Custom Shops out in the open. My CS LP's in the wall across.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  19. Andrew.

Andrew. Member

Sorry to hear about your father, but you must be damn proud - Thud pilots had balls of steel. From playing chicken with telephone pole sized SAMs to taking out bridges surrounded by rings of 20mm and 37mm anti-aircraft guns - and with unguided bombs - those pilots were the real deal. Seriously, the amount of AA and AAA fire those guys had to fly through to reach their targets (and to do it over and over again) - real life super heroes.

74 missions is also quite an accomplishment given their odds.

67blackcherry likes this.
  20. theroan

theroan Member

I did this on the cheap. Bought a nice grainy board. Stained it. Secured it to the studs, put on Hercules hangers.

[​IMG]