Building a Pedal Board from Scratch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mbagalacomposer, Jan 30, 2015.

1. mbagalacomposer

mbagalacomposer Member

First post! Yay.

The past couple months I've been eyeing the pedal boards that both Salvage Custom and Groundswell make. But with tax season coming up and the joys of being a freelancer….the wallets feeling pretty thin…

So I got to thinking….why not make my own custom pedal board? My dad is a killer carpenter and I'm pretty electronically savvy (and learned some carpentry from my dad along the way) so why not?

So my question is this….

If you were having your dream pedal board built….what kind of features would you want?

I know I want ins and outs on the side so all the cabling is under the board and a power source below as well….but am I missing anything? Any other cool ideas for features?

Thanks!

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

An angled top is always nice, and helps with underneath cabling and power supply mounting (as well as wireless receiver if you are inclined). But if you use Wah or volume pedal, flat is the way to go, so a flat section next to an angled section is an option.

3. mbagalacomposer

mbagalacomposer Member

Good tip! I use both a wah and a volume pedal so its definitely important to keep it flat! Thanks!

4. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Make it a bit bigger than you think you will need.

There is a very good chance you may want to add a few new pedals, down the road.

5. c diddy 5000

c diddy 5000 Member

I would also strongly consider keeping the weight down. I've made my share of big boards that hold a ton of ****, and it never fails that I end up hating the weight of the board. My basic board now is manageable on its own, but as soon as I add my satellite board with extras, I need to start carrying a road case. The joys of this situation instantly diminish. Work smart, not hard.

6. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

Place to hide a decent power supply underneath and out of the way, lightweight, and room for cables are what I want in a pedalboard.