Building a pedal, is it that hard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IbanezAFS75, Jul 27, 2008.

1. IbanezAFS75

IbanezAFS75 Member

I'm considering building a pedal, right now i have my eyes set on the OLC Thor kit (based on a 100w Super Lead).

I've never soldered before, if i practice it and get the hang of it, can i conquer building a complete pedal?

http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_thor.html

Thats what i'm talking about.

Thanks,

Dan

2. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

www.diystompboxes.com

read the WIKI, read the FAQ, read some stuff over at Geofex.com,
    and you're ready to go.
    Sorry, but you won't find much help about building effects on TGP.
    It's not cheaper than buying them, it takes a lot of time and effort to learn everything that's going on with'em, but it's very rewarding.
    So, as a first step, I'd go join diystompboxes, and just soak everything up for a couple days (ESPECIALLY the WIKI page). Then you can start thinking about your first stompbox.

If you need anything or have any questions, just let me know.

~Andy

3. jstone

jstone Member

Building pedals is fun!
    I have to agree with Andy it is not cheaper to build yourself. But it opens up a lot of possibilities if you know your way around circuit designs.
    Check out tonepad.com and General Guitar Gadgets web sites as well they a both provide some god information so does small bear electronics.

Good luck

4. pbone

pbone Member

I had the benefit of being trained by an experienced solder jockey, and I'd only recommend that being the only way to go. He taught me the actual metallurgy behind the soldering and what actually goes into making a good joint, all sorts of useful information. My advice is to find someone who can teach you instead of trying to teach yourself. You'll come out a more knowledgeable and wiser solderer.

5. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

All it really takes is practice. I'd start with something basic and don't assume that your first build will be gig-worthy.
    That being said; I built a Thor recently and it's a really good sounding circuit - much better than most overdrives I've played through.