building a skateboard guitar. how do I attach the neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 6789, Dec 11, 2005.

1. 6789

6789 Member

I want to make a skateboard guitar.

I need some help. How do you think they attach the neck to the deck? on a guitar, usually there is a 5/8ths inch deep pocket that the neck fits into. well a skate deck is around 3/8ths inch thick- not thick enough for a pocket.

how do you think these guys attached the necks???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I suggest you build it like any "drop top" guitar and simply use the skateboard as the top. Or, Build up the back side of the skateboard to get the needed thichness.

And watch those knuckles on the grip tape.

3. axpro

axpro Member

+1 on the drop top idea, I'd figure those were gutiars shaped like skateboards, rather than skateboards made into guitars.. if all else fails, laminate a maple 1 1/2" by 4" runner down the middle and use it as a base to mount hardware and neck to, you could route out the pocket... and that way, unless you were really really close, it would totally look like a board... some extremely tall trucks, and you could manual onto the stage! :D

4. 6789

6789 Member

what's a drop top guitar?

5. 6789

6789 Member

I looked at the cover of the Surf Punks first album and there is a side view of the guitar and it looks like the front half of the deck either has extra woodon the bottom or it's two decks put together to make it thicker. But there's a white thing right under the neck that I don't know what it is.
    [​IMG]

6. axpro

axpro Member

Essentially, they've used the board as a "top" to the guitar, like a maple top on a les paul. made a hardwood board shape thick enought o route for the neck pocket, and glued to board to it.