Building (Assembling) a new guitar.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Fuzzdawg, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

yo.

what's up. i am building a new guitar. i am using an American Standard Strat neck i had laying around. i bought a beautiful SSH Rear Routed blue=>black burst guitar: quilted maple top, swamp ash body.

you see, the body came yesterday, and it's one of the most beautiful i have seen. now i'm REALLY excited, and am convinced that this deserves to be the best sounding guitar ever.

i am planning to use Fralin vintage hot strat pickups for the single coils, and a Fralin humbucker in the bridge possition.

here's the questions i have:

What hardware should i use. does it matter? i had a friend that insisted that i should use this special type of bridge that would give me awesome sustain. but does it matter? do the saddles make a difference? what about electronics? it's a 1 volume, 1 tone setup; should i use a 250 or 500k tone pot?

any other advice?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

3. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Use the best hardware you can afford. You might want want to start with a Callaham kit, I'm sure some of the folks around here will be more than willing to help you out.

Nice guitar body, btw.

4. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i think so, too. thanks!

is it really worth spending $100 for a tremolo?

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I have a Callaham bridge on my strat. It's very nice but you know, there are plenty of excellent options. Wilkinson, Hipshot & Mann all make great modern tremolos. I went with a Callaham on mine because I wanted to keep the feel of my vintage strat. I've used Wilkinson tremolos on a few of my custom guitars also. They feel pretty close to a Fender but smoother. They are aluminum though which you might not like. The Mann are excellent quality but I've never liked the feel of them, at least on a PRS. Although I haven't tried the Hipshot tremolo, everything I have tried of theirs has been top notch.

6. John_M

John_M Member

I've been building a few projects lately. That's one of those new Might Mite bodies - correct? They sure do look good - let us know how it sounds when you finish it.

As for trems, I've tried many - I go with Floyds (originals) or Gotoh (better) but also just got a Mann which looks like it will be real nice. I've not strung it up but all signs point to "coolness" (solid feel, smooth arm)

Wilkinson is no longer owned by the same guys and newer ones are cheaper and seem to be made with pot metal or something. Light and feels like it would shatter if dropped on a concrete floor. [EDIT - just read previous post - that would explain it]This was for the new VS100 - the VSVG feels totally different, and was a sweet trem. I recently happened on a used Washburn with an old Wilkinson VS100 in it - WOW - super smooth. Almost bought the guitar just for the trem!

Gotohs are used by many top mfgs (Suhr, anderson etc) - I think it's the 1088 - -

Callaham I've never tried - he and a guy from Fender CS got into a pissing match on FDP a few years back and Callaham came off as a snake oil salesman, IMO. I stay away but he has many believers.

Drilling the pivots will be a PITA - measure twice, cut once.

If you're using a bucker, you'll prolly want to use a 500k pot - tone also

Get a Schaller Megaswitch for some cool tele sounds

And then prepare to be bit by the bug and start building these like crazy!

7. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

haha, this is my second guitar that i am building. yes it's mighty-mite. i got it from dancingdragonguitars.com for a great price. i was very skeptical, but the body is gorgeous!

here's the deal: i wanted a hardtal, because i never ever ever ever ever use the tremolo bar, but they didn't have one in stock (not the color i wanted). what's the best way to run a tremolo system so that it acts like a hardtail?

8. John_M

John_M Member

sock the trem claw screws down all the way and put foam earplugs inside the springs (they resonate and that sound gets amplified) - this is good if your saddles are adjustable

or you could put a piece of wood or metal between the trem block and the back of the trem cavity.

9. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

anyone have an old vintage-style (6-screw) strat trem laying around that they want to sell me for cheap?