1. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

Anyone here built speaker/combo cabinets?

I'm thinking of giving it a shot, starting with a solid pine tweed style cabinet.

I have a router. I'm researching dovetail joinery and there's a LOT of stuff out there in the way of dovetail jigs, etc, and a lot of this stuff has furniture and elaborate stuff in mind I presume.

How far into wood working equipment acquisition does one really need to go to build a good amp cabinet?

Thanks,

Paul

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Pretty far for good cabinets. A good table saw is a must. You will also need a router with bits, and some sort of dovetail jig. You might also consider a few types of clamps (90 degree ones help make sure a cabinet is straight in the beginning), some sort of sanding device, probably a drill, and a hammer. That is about the bare minimum for making a decent cabinet.

3. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I use the porter Cable dovetail jig and it makes life easy.I do half blind dovetails as easy as pie.You absolutely must have perfectly square boards to make successful joints,but if you do,it's a breeze.You need a router with a 1/2" chuck for the special porter cable router bit.
    A cabinet can be dovetailed in twenty minutes and ready to be glued together..Strong as hell and looks great.

4. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Finger joints can be done on a table saw with a jig that you can make....on the table saw!

Google it.

5. Nolatone Ampworks

6. Nolatone Ampworks

Well, I have a table saw. It's a Ryobi, not the BEST, but hopefully will work for the occasional cabinet.

I also have a router, sander (though may want to upgrade that), drill, hammer, jigsaw, etc.

The real thing I'm missing is a dovetail jig.

I'm reading about the Leigh products that appear to have some of the best reps among wood working sites. Expensive though. Would I do fine with a Porter Cable 4210 available at Lowes for $119?

Thanks,

Paul

7. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

8. Nolatone Ampworks

Dang, I just found the Porter Cable 4212 at Coastal Tool for $139! Usually about $170 from other places.

The video looks to me know it will do everything I need, and attaching it to a 2" wood block allows you to take it to the work piece and do work wider than 12".

Looks like a good solution for my level of useage.

9. Jeph

Jeph Member

I use a Ryobi saw for my stuff too (a old BT3100, can't beat it for the $200 I paid for it!) Not dead-on accurate, but plenty good enough for cabs. I built my first cabs using a box joint jig on this saw and they came out great, a dovetail jig is not absolutely necessary. But, if you do want to do dovetails or plan on making more than a couple cabs then grab a jig (I use the PC 4212). It's a good deal faster than cutting box joints. http://www.chassi-swing.com/amps/cabs/

Great cab Lowell!

10. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Once you learn to use a dovetail jig, you'll quickly discover that cutting dovetails is a snap. But accurately setting up the router? That's hard! A lot of set up and trial / error......mostly error.

Just a suggestion......get 2 routers. Set one up for the dovetails, tweak it to perfection, lock it...and don't ever touch the settings again! That's what I did.

11. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

If you are going to do a few cabs a table saw would be a great purchase. I'm a little short on change right now, so I'm going to build one with a skill saw and router. It'll be a good deal of work, but I think it is doable. Just take your time setting up a good fence.

12. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Since we're talking power tools and all. I would also like to highly recommend the StopSaw. http://www.sawstop.com/ It will save your hand if there is ever an accident. I'm buying one this week. The price is high, but if you cut a lot of wood it is worth it.

13. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Supporting Member

Holy crap! That hotdog video is AMAZING!