Building Dual footswitch, need technical help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brand0nized, Feb 5, 2012.

1. brand0nized

brand0nized Member

I'm building a dual footswitch pedal, one for tap tempo and one for bypass, each with their own outs, to be used on an Alesis MicroVerb.

I tutorial I read on Tap Tempo suggested a SPST Soft Touch Momentary Switch. Then I read something on DPDT Momentary Switch allowing true bypass switching.

Can someone give me some insight on which switch is best for each function (bypass/tap tempo). And how do I need to solder the wires? Diagrams?

2. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I've built a true bypass box w/ tap temp built in myself.

For true bypass functionality, the most basic parts list besides some wire & an enclosure is one 3PDT foot switch & 4 mono jacks.
    A few more parts are needed if you want add an LED.
    You want a momentary switch for tap tempo, but not for true bypass.
    The jacks for the true bypass portion would be in/out, send & return.
    A more detailed explanation with diagrams can be found here.

Tap tempo is just a momentary foot switch & one mono jack (normally open is most common).
    1 wire from the ground lug, 1 wire from the hot lug to the same lugs on the mono jack.

3. brand0nized

brand0nized Member

The MicroVerb has only ONE footpedal jack for both tap tempo and bypass. (Bypass is to be connected to Tip and tap tempo is to be connected to Ring of the connector). The manual says to only use momentary switches so I'm guessing this bypass pedal doesn't need to be an actual true bypass pedal, just to send a signal to the MicroVerb to bypass internally. Do i need to do anything special for this then?

4. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

If you want to completely take the microverb out of your signal path when not in use, a true bypass box is what you need.

If you just want to build a foot switch to connect to the jack the alesis already has for bypass, then forget about true bypass.

To control both functions on the microverb's single jack, sounds like you want a stereo jack & 2 momentary foot switches. You'll need to find out if the microverb requires normally open, or normally closed momentary foot switches.