Building external tap tempo for my Timeline...Questions.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by riversisblue, Feb 5, 2012.

1. riversisblue

riversisblue Member

I decided to build an external tap tempo for my timeline and had a few questions...

1. What does the polarity of the switch need to be?
    2. I heard that the timeline side needs a trs plug however the switch is a simple mono plug. Confirmed?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. minjason

minjason Member

i'm curious about this as well...wondering if i can use a simple patch cable to connect my mini tap tempo to my timeline instead of a TRS cable...will it work the same?

3. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

You'll need a TRS cable. The jack on the Timeline side will short (ie not function properly) with a normal mono patch cable. The TRS cable on the tap switch side will function normally. Not sure on polarity; I know it has worked with normally open switches I've made for a few folks, I'm guessing either would work.

4. riversisblue

riversisblue Member

Just got a response from Terry @ Strymon about the polarity...Momentary switch should be normally open. (Closed when tapped).

5. ninjadave7

ninjadave7 Member

I just built a tap with a TRS, it wouldn't work, but when I just went back to TS it worked great. I know you need TRS for an EXP to work properly, but tap seems to be fine with just ground and hot.