Building first guitar - Telecaster style

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sanders4617, Feb 5, 2015.

1. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

Well I have finally decided to dive into the world of building (or putting together) my own guitar.

I ordered the parts from Warmoth on Monday, and hopefully will have them sometime next week - if I'm lucky.

Decided to go with a cream color body, routed for a mini humbucker in the neck, strat single coil in the middle, and a normal tele pickup in the bridge. Giong with a vintage bridge, although with 6 saddles instead of the 3.

For the neck.. It has a maple fretboard (just flat finish, not the shiny stuff lol). The standard thin size (which I hear is not as thin as a neck that Fender would say thin). Hopefully its not too thin. Going with a 9.5" radius. I fought with myself about what radius I wanted to go with - but I am so comfortable with my strat that has a 9.5" radius, I figured it would be best to stick with that. The frets of 6105.

Still debating on the pickguard, but I believe I might go with a black paisley pickguard. Going to wire it up "Brent Mason." Have a Seymour Duncan Mini Humbucker in the neck, Hot Stack in the middle, and Vintage Stack in the bridge.

Total costs with shipping and all, just a little under $900. I know these guitars won't have the resell value of a Fender, etc.. and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I will try and post pictures once I get everything in and start building it! :)

Any advice from you guys on this build? I know I will probably need to level the frets a little, but besides that, It seems like things should go pretty smooth?

Also would love to see some of the Telecasters that you guys have put together.

2. bschmoove

bschmoove Member

Good luck.
    Some day I hope to take on a similar challenge.

3. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

I'll be watching..I've been thinking of doing this myself...

4. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

I've watched as many videos as I've been able to find on YouTube. The fret leveling has me slightly nervous, just because I have never done that.

5. Tonefree

Tonefree Silver Supporting Member

Here's one I did. Body made by Travis from J.W Van and an American deluxe neck. Fred Stuart Lap Wrap and a Lollar Low wind Imperial set in a Bakelite guard. Finished with a Brass Bridge from Armadillo Guitars.... Love it. Have fun with the build. Crappy pictures but all I have for now.

Cheers TF...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  6. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

How much do you think going with the vintage bridge will affect the tone compared to the higher end bridges? I figured if it was good enough in the 50s and 60s, why not now? I am hoping the guitar ends up being very resonant and has that lovely woody tone to it. Some guitars seem to have it, some don't.

7. theruley

theruley Member

Heres one i just finished this week. Rock audio body and an allparts neck.

[​IMG]

My advice would be planning, preperation, and patience.

I took my time acquiring the right parts to put on it. I leveled, crowned, and polished the frets myself, which was a learning experience. Once again though, i took my time and the end result was well worth it. If you are not comfortable, get a good tech or luthier to do it.

The last 10% of your work will be the first thing that gets noticed.

8. Tonefree

Tonefree Silver Supporting Member

I went with the brass for the "Keef" Micawber vibe. I think it adds some warmth to the tone as well.

9. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

Nice looking guitar! I don't think leveling and polishing the frets will be too hard. Like you say, I'll definitely take my time. I wanna make sure I get everything right.

I love the relic necks at All Parts. I'll def look around more for my next build.

10. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

That's beautiful! Exactly what I want to do.

Sent using Forum Runner

11. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

You know you need to apply a finish to the neck right?
    If it's just the standard finish Warmoth ships out, it's not really even a real finish, it's more of a sealant.
    If you don't want to bother with applying a real finish, better to pay them to do it for you.

12. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

There must be something in the water.
    I'm trying to finish up my own 'Micawber' inspired build.

Sanders--Take your time and never, NEVER be afraid to ask a pro tech for help or advice if you get in over your head.
    You are going to be blown away by how much you are going to learn about your instrument!!!
    Even if you are used to doing your own setup and/or minor repair work, assembling the whole thing takes patience and will test your skill.

I don't think you have much to worry about with Warmoth's standard thin. It's a nice solid neck, often with a touch more 'grab' than a Fender Am Std.
    Drak, I think he's referring to a satin finish.

Good luck and I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product!!

13. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

It says its a clear satin nitro finish. Will I be good with that? lol

What I meant earlier was how some fretboards have the shininess to them, and some don't.

14. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Yes, you'll be fine with that finish.
    You just don't like gloss finish. You'll like their satin.
    You can buy them with just a sealer, but Warmoth won't warranty it and will strongly advise against buying one that way.

15. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

Ah Thanks!

Yeah I am not a huge fan of the gloss finish. My hands sweat pretty good, and any gloss just seems to slow me down.

16. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Is it fairly normal to have to level,crown and polish frets on a new aftermarket neck?

17. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Cool. I took the word 'flat' to mean the basic sealer they ship with.
    You're good to go! :dude

Certainly not everyone does, and I know a lot of people will chime in and say the neck they bought played great out of the box.
    But if you've ever had a neck leveled, crowned and set up by a pro luthier, man, that is where a real guitar lives and breathes.
    That's what makes a pro player guitar what it is when a real luthier finishes it off professionally.
    To me anything less is just half-steppin' it.

18. bluflames

bluflames Member

I put together a warmoth parts Tele a while back. 2-piece swamp ash body with a 1" u-shaped neck and a 9.5" radius.

I didn't level and crown the frets but that was just out of lethargy. Still the resulting product is my favorite sounding guitar, it just doesn't play as well as my strat or Kramer which have had their frets leveled and crowned.

That is going to be a killer guitar for sure though - before assembling mine I never understood why teles are so popular, and now it's the only guitar I play anymore it seems like haha.

19. stratamania

stratamania Member

20. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

You guys have some tips on getting files, etc for cheap?