Building Jeff beck relic need ideas on neck/frets

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rob, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rob

rob Member

Hi guys. bought a MJT tele Jeff beck esquire body. where going to do a custom 50 tele neck. trying to figure out if I should go with the 6100 jumbo frets with a compound radius of 12 to 16 or 6150 frets.. any body have a tele with 6100 frets. I refret all my 335 with the 6100 and love the play ability. just do not know if those frets are to big for a tele.any thoughts
    Also anybody use/ try the stainless steel frets is there a tone
    Difference with stainless steel thanks Rob

2. es3456

es3456 Member

I've put 6100's on a couple of strats and love it I have a esp vintage plus tele that has 6100's on it and it play great. I Dont have much experience with stainless frets some people say they are a little brighter some people they arn't
    I do know that they last for damn near forever

3. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

SS jumbos - if you like jumbos on other guitars - will be a great choice. I have the SS jumbos (from Jescar) on all my Carvins, and I love them. I record almost daily with mine, and no one has ever been able to tell the difference between traditional and ss frets by sound alone. It's a raging debate, but honestly, I have probably 15 guitars with ss frets, and no one I've ever worked with has ever said "hey, try another guitar, those frets are too bright and pingy".

If you're bored and want reassurance, I have a ton of vids on my YouTube channelwith ss fret equipped guitars,. If you can stomach my narcissistic hackery, feel free to try and pick out which guitars have which :aok

As for feel, I love em. My main guitars are 25.5 inch scale with fairly hefty necks and 20" radius, so I'd think they'd be fine for a tele neck of your specs.

4. schristie

schristie Supporting Member

Why not 6100's....like the other said if you like them on other guitars go for it.

One thought...unless you want a completely different feel from your Gibson guitars you might consider a similar nut width and bridge spacing so you don't have so much Gibson to Fender shock when you move from guitar to guitar.

5. rob

rob Member

Hey guys thanks for the input i,m going to go for the 6100
    freets and the flatter board