• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Building MJT Tele partscaster -- help me source parts!

sa1126

Silver Supporting Member
I am hoping to build an MJT partscaster by the end of the year. I already won the body but need help sourcing the neck, controls and electronics.

It seems like everyone has different random ebay stores they go through for parts.

For the neck I want a rosewood neck pref nitro with vintage frets/radius. Everything else is fair game. The cheaper the better :)

padavis

This feels odd to me. I thought that MJT made/re-worked necks too? Why not go to him for the neck too? My other vote would be just to search Reverb/eBay til you find a nicely finished Tele neck from Warmoth, Allparts, USACGG, Muskraft...

sliberty

I've only ever gotten my Tele necks from MJT as part of kits. Back then, they used AllParts, although I don't believe that is there standard anymore. The AllParts necks were then finished and aged by them of course, and they did a fantastic job. But I will take some credit too - I was pretty detailed about what I wanted. They have sort of standard ways that they do things in levels (lightly aged, medium, heavy aging), but if there is anything you want, you just have to tell them. They are great that way. I really like my AllParts necks, but I am sure that they do a great job on their current necks too.

Another option is Strat-o-sphere. He parts out Fender guitars. So you'd be able to get a real Fender neck from him, although they are mostly not nitro (some are).

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
MJT will get you a 10% (I think) discount on any necks you order and have shipped directly to them from Musikraft. I did this earlier this year, and it turned out wonderfully.

itchyfingers

Gold Supporting Member
Good ideas so far. Tons of stuff available on Reverb and ebay. I also recommend the Stratosphere for Mighty Mite and Allparts necks. Don't pay the extra money for aged hardware- some of that stuff is marked up 2-3X the original price. Buy a gallon of muriatic acid and do it yourself. Check out Emerson Custom's wiring harnesses, really beautiful components and work for reasonable prices. Another bit of advice from someone who just finished a partscaster relic / build - splurge the extra 10% on the hardware and get the Fender branded stuff so it actually fits...

Here are some shots of my recently finished Esquire build...

sa1126

Silver Supporting Member
^ What kind of neck is that? I'm in no rush so I might just post a bunch of WTB ads in the emporium :)

itchyfingers

Gold Supporting Member
It's a Mighty Mite, sort of their take on a modern/vintage. Modern because its 9.5" radius (fits my hands great), and has the truss rod adjustment in the headstock (so I don't need to take the neck off to set relief). Vintage because they used a vintage tint on it and it has smaller sized frets. Granted, I removed most of that vintage finish to do the aging myself, but I could have easily just used it stock, it looked pretty sweet upon arrival:

You have the right mindset about not being in a rush. Let the deals come to you!

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I've looked at MJT stuff before, also.

If you buy all the parts from them, do they assemble/set up for you, too?

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
Another vote for the Musikraft neck through MJT. The neck I spec'd has been blowing minds when people play it.

Hardware - I'm partial to Rutters

Pickups - I like a lot of different pickups for different reasons

baiff

Silver Supporting Member
I use to go through Madison's Music on eBay for all my relic parts. They just recently raised all of the prices so now I go through trickedoutguitar. The prices are reasonable for aged fender parts and they all fit great (bridge lines up, ferrules are sunk in with no lip). As far as the neck you can check out Rittenhouse guitars. They have aged nitro Allparts necks pretty regularly. They say that fretwork is included but I still have to level a few frets and polish them to get them to be their best. There is also Scotty Huffman from The Guitar Tone Shop (or something like that) on eBay. Again, he does Allparts necks in nitro and does a good job on the relic work. The only complaint I have with his work is that he consistently does not not cut a proper nut. He has always refunded money so I could have my tech fix it. Just a few opinions, hope they help.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Good ideas so far. Tons of stuff available on Reverb and ebay. I also recommend the Stratosphere for Mighty Mite and Allparts necks. Don't pay the extra money for aged hardware- some of that stuff is marked up 2-3X the original price. Buy a gallon of muriatic acid and do it yourself. Check out Emerson Custom's wiring harnesses, really beautiful components and work for reasonable prices. Another bit of advice from someone who just finished a partscaster relic / build - splurge the extra 10% on the hardware and get the Fender branded stuff so it actually fits...
You did that one yourself?

Came out real nice!

Trending Topics