building pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fliplink, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Fliplink

Fliplink Member

i was wondering and i am really bored so. how do you guys figure out how to build effect pedals. are they just from like the internet or books or is there even lessons. that would be chill. peaace

2. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

3. gulliver

gulliver Member

www.diystompboxes.com is a great resource. I recommend you try modding a few pedals first for insight into the key changes that can make the most differences.

4. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

If you just want to buy a board and some parts and solder all on try:
    www.generalguitargadgets.com
    www.tonepad.com

If you really want to learn about the circuits and start from scratch with a schematic and a some sweat, read a lot. Then read again, and again. I had the same Idea in October 2003. I started reading online and got some books from the library. I finally got a working pedal ( a very mis biased but working vox treble booster) in December of 2004. Now I didn't spend an entire year researching day and night but it took a lot of time to understand some things. I have now built several pedals right off a schematic and modified each one to my own liking. I have alson designed my own high gain overdrive. It's a lot of work and a lot of fun.

try these sites
    www.diystompboxes.com
    www.geofx.com
    www.effectronics.com

There are plenty more out there and once you start your research you will find them.

Good luck.
    Scott

5. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

:AOK

6. Fliplink

Fliplink Member

ah sweet thanks alot

7. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

the links provieded are really good places to start. My first pedal was a Tweak-o from small bear. build your own clone stuff is even easier, but they werent arround back then.

I had been soldering since i was 12 or so though, and did it for a living for a while as well, but its really not that hard.

I really like the stuff at general guitar gadgets. Easy to build, and lots of help available at diystompboxes.... tone pad is good too... Runoffgroove, is probably better after you have a little more experience, but there is some nice stuff there too.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

I hope you have lotso $$$. It can become an addicting and expensive hobby.:)

9. bduguay

bduguay Member

New guy here, first post. I solder for a living and build effects on the side. All the links listed are great sources of help for this kind of thing. If anyone here ever needs help or advice on soldering or building effects don't hesitate to email me.
    B.