Building up a nut cut too low???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GAT, Aug 18, 2006.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Anyone know how to slightly build up a nut slot? I just got another guitar and the high E string's nut is slightly cut too low. Any suggestions on how to build it up or should I just get a new one (hate to do that since there aren't any good techs in my area).

2. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Here's something I did many moons ago and it worked fine. I cut a piece of the same guage string and epoxyed it in the slot bottom. The real string just sat on it no problem. Of course the slot has to be just right so the new height works.

I've also just used epoxy and bone dust and filled the slot and recut it. Put some tape on both sides of the slot to dam in the wet epoxy so it doesnt get all over, then peel the tape after it dries.

3. GAT

Cool. What brand/kind of epoxy did you use?

4. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

What kind of guitar? I've found Fender style guitars are easier to replace the nut on than guitars with tilt-back headstocks. It is kind of tedious work but it's not too tough. I've done a few but nowdays I usually just have my luthier do it since he doesn't charge too much and it's time-consuming for me.

I haven't heard of a specific procedure for building up an individual slot, although it seems it would be possible using something like bone dust in epoxy. But I suspect it might be a bigger pain than just making a new nut.

Wow. I wrote this and by the time I posted it, the reply above was already there. What's interesting is the epoxy and bone-dust thing just seemed a logical possibility. I hadn't actually heard of anyone trying it. I guess it does work!

5. GAT

It's a Chapin Houla. The rest of the nut is great.

Where would I get bone dust?

I'm a dentist, I wonder if (deep breath) a small piece of tooth enamel would work. Or, some dental composite glued into the slot.

6. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Gee, I only remember it was bone/cream colored and not a big deal to use.
    I was making 14ct gold cow skull bolo ties and hand carving bone long horns. I used that epoxy to cement the tennon of the horn into a slot on the gold skulls. Larry Briggs from the Three Amigos guitar shows has one.
    The nut fix was an afterthought.

7. GAT

I have some cool cement that works very well with metal and plastic. I think that would work fine.

8. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Well you certainly have the tools and dexterity to try the tooth piece. I'm not certain if your dental adhesive is as hard as epoxy. I've had a few crowns come off so I wonder.
    Good luck.

9. GAT

This is not the crown cement, but an industrial cement for bonding metal to plastic.

I have nothing to lose so I'll give it a go tomorrow!

10. holyroller1

holyroller1 Member

You can use regular super glue. Just lay some down let it dry and then then add more as needed. Then you can use a jeweller's file to cut as needed.

This tip thanks to Shovelhead.

It worked great on my nut that was too deep. ( I never thought I would say this on a forum :)

11. GAT

That's what I was going to try. Does the tone sound similar to the regual nut?

Man, I was dreading cutting up a pulled tooth!:jo

12. holyroller1

holyroller1 Member

Sounds fine to me. I can't tell a difference. But then again I am a no cut hack:dude

Shovelhead on the other hand is a littel more discerning. If he recommends it I would not hesitate at least trying it.

13. GAT

One more question, where do I find a jeweler's file?

14. holyroller1

holyroller1 Member

I got a decent set from my local Sears. I forget what they are exactly, fine cut files or something. It came with 10 or so different files all different shapes. Shoot me an email if you can't find them anywhere and I will look for the exact P#.

holyroller1 at gmail dot com

15. Colt14jr

Colt14jr Member

I've used super glue dozens of times to build up a nut slot. Be careful though. Use a straight pin or something like that. It doesn't take much.

16. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

I like an Exacto saw for the high E slot. They are available at all hobby shops or probably any hardware store. They come in a couple of blade thicknesses and degree of fine/coarse

17. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I would just use baking soda and superglue.

18. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

Get a new nut or shim this one from the bottom. Super glue and dust works but you WILL have tuning problems. Kink, Kink, Kink everytime you tune.

19. holyroller1

holyroller1 Member

Not if he files it properly. I have yet to have problems with the strings sticking in the slot on my nuts that have used super glue.

20. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Stewmac sells the proper file for about $10, and the nicer, more comfortable type for about $25.

I would probably replace the nut for such a nice guitar.