Built a board and now I got 2 noise issues

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sixty2strat, Mar 22, 2015.

1. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Yesterday I built a board and it has some issues.
    parts
    PT1, Voodoo 4x4, RMC, Klon Clone, Neo Mini Vent , Fulltone Mini vibe and a DD6. I had an El capistan and a soul bender but then seemed to make things worse.
    order
    So The guitar goes to the Wah then to a junction box with 3 loops and out to the amp. on loop one was the Clone and the Soul bender, 2 was the Vibe and Vent on 3 I had a El capistan and a DD6. The hiss was so bad I got rid of the EL Cap, getting rid of the SB and rewiring seemed to quiet it down.
    problem
    Now here is the problem. When I switch on the wah the noise level jumps up, lots of hiss almost as if the a cable was lying on the ground. As your working the wah it seems to go down a bit. Next issue: the Vibe makes a high pitched whirling sound in time with the pulse, but only dose this when the clone is engaged, on a separate loop. The volume of the amp accentuates these issue but they are there at any level . The loop is a DIY project that never gave me any trouble when I had a piece of wood and used Warts with a power strip.

2. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

To your first problem: Check all your cables.

To your second: The Klon circuit (specifically, the charge pump) is known to cause heterodyning with certain digital effects. That's a fancy way of saying your Klone is causing that high pitched noise.

Best recommendation is to start with guitar > amp and add one pedal at a time determine where the issue lies.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Spot on. And pay extra attention to how the pedals are positioned in relation to the power supply. Wahs are especially sensitive, and can pick up lots of noise if they get too close to the power supply.

4. FAC

FAC Member

The El Cap is not necessarily known for adding hiss, in general.

5. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Thanks, tore it apart and left off the MDV, funny as I've used a MDV or a MJM 60's vibe and never had that issue when I did it the "old way" running the clone with a 9 volt. Still odd that the Vibe(analog ) has an issue and the vent does not. Sad but I guess there is no way to run them together. The wah is still really noisy guess I'll try running it separately om a 9 volt. Used to running to2 pedals so this is all greek to me. The El Cap was moved back the DD6 and it seem to be all right.

Odd I remember seeing becks board and his Klon was off to the side separate from the rest, sounds like he had problems I'd guess.