Built In Guitar Preamp

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pro, Mar 21, 2020.

1. pro

pro Member

Hi, I have a guitar with an in built preamp, could anyone tell me if this affects the tone of the guitar
    when not switched on, as I never use it and is a waste of time being there!
    Paul.

2. John C

John C Supporting Member

It depends on the guitar and how the boost circuit is integrated into the other controls. Some of them have a true bypass switch, others are always on (like the Clapton Strat). Still others have to have their preamp (EMGs or similar active pickups) to work. So a little more info would be helpful.

In the example of the Clapton Strat the mid-boost is always in the background and does impact the tone of the guitar. Also the EBMM Luke III has a buffered output combined with the boost circuit; the buffered output "levels up" the output of the single coils on the HSS/split coil settings on the HH up to the level of the humbucker's full output.

3. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

What guitar is it? If you don't know post a pic of it.

4. pro

pro Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. The guitar is a indie SG dark destroyer, I’ve fitted some dimarzio pickups and
    like the guitar, but have reservations about the preamp.
    Thanks Paul.

5. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Supporting Member

Anything in the harness path is altering signal capacitance. If you're not using the preamp, I'd say bypassing or removing it will most likely result in your signal sounding more like Dimarzio's description of the pickups you've installed. Also, be sure to check the pots and caps in the passive harness to make sure they test to spec. Heat from a soldering iron can compromise the carbon rings in pots.

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

Not much info on these - the reviews read like the original pickups were active (similar to EMG-type pickups). I suspect the preamp was just for the pickups you replaced with the DiMarzios so you probably could just remove the circuit.

7. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

In the bypass position, do you get a signal with no battery in the guitar? Do the controls work normally with the battery out?

8. pro

pro Member

Yes, the guitar works without the battery in the guitar, but will not work when the preamp switch is
    engaged.

9. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Can you post a photo of what's in the control cavity?