1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Built my first 2x12. Pair of V30s? Mix it up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nsomniac, May 22, 2020.

1. Nsomniac

Nsomniac Supporting Member

Apologies for another post on a well-traveled road, I have read posts on this til my head spins. Wondering what the current active community has to say on this to help cut through the information overload.
    Relatively similar efficiency seems desirable, though I understand it's not that simple. Similar or complementary frequency curves, etc.

I have a G12H Anniversary in my Laney combo, and love it. Also love the Copperback in my 1x12 build for what it brings to the table. I can tell you that a combination for the 2x12 that I don't like very much is the two I happened to have on hand that are in it now - a C12K and an Eminence Beta 12LTA. Probably not a shock that those two aren't a match made in heaven.

For all around goodness across genres and sounds, would you play it safe with a couple of the same (like V30s), or do a V30 and a Greenback? Some other solid choice?

2. playthecray

playthecray Member

Celestion G12H30 and V30 is a great speaker mix. Scumbacks are great also, M75/H75.

JackVanPage, Russ73 and Nsomniac like this.
  3. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

Creamback 65's or creamback 65 and vintage 30. I have btoh in seperate cabs. The creamback is super nice and more clean, the one with a vintage 30 has a bit more growl when pushed.

MartinCliffe and Nsomniac like this.
  4. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

What amp? Guitar? Music?

5. Nsomniac

It would be easier if there were a very specific answer to that question. Amps are an Orange cr120h and a Marshall DSL1, with a Supro Galaxy inbound. A strat, a tele, a Hollowbody II SE, and a CE22. Classic Rock, some prog, a little country, Jazz, and whatever else comes to mind.

6. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    What? No pictures of the cab?!? What is this forum coming to?

I have similar music interests - I prefer my cleans to have some fur. I mixed speakers for a few years but have gone back to not mixing for the last three to four years.

Russ

outdoorpja and Nsomniac like this.
  7. Nsomniac

My false modesty (or is it an inferiority complex? I'm never sure) dictates that I need to be asked before sharing :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Geeze, outdoorpja, tvegas99 and 2 others like this.
  8. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I'd just go with V30's and break them in for a while before you consider mixing.

Nsomniac likes this.
  9. Mayhem13

Mayhem13 Member

The classic LA 4x12 combo has been the Vintage30 and the G12T-75. They compliment each other very well as their responses fill in one another. The Lynchback was designed to be that sound of a classic Marshall cab with the G12T and V30 in an X pattern. Think RATT, Dokken, Extreme, Crue, etc.

Nsomniac likes this.
  10. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

Co-sign here. I love Creambacks on their own, and with a V30, they very nicely smooth out that famous high-mid peak.

MartinCliffe, Nsomniac and cygnusx1 like this.
  11. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

I don’t believe any of that to be true. If you have sources, please quote them.

I will say, Lynchbacks in a 2x12 are righteous sounding.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  12. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

Speaker mixing in a 2x12 is not worth the trouble. It works in a 4x12 due separation.
    If you are set on doing it, having the same dB rating is critical to prevent one speaker dominating the other.

13. andy474x

andy474x Member

Treat yourself to something awesome after building that righteous cab - mix a V30 and an Alnico Cream! Sounds great, versatile, with a little nod to classic rock tones.

Nsomniac and cygnusx1 like this.
  14. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

No way man, and please no offense, it makes a HUGE difference. I went through this about a year ago. In a good 2x12" the right combo changes everything. Especially if you have a good amp. For me I tried a lot of speakers. Realized I hate G12h30's , greenbacks, and someothers in what I was looking for, but thats the beauty of it, its all subjective to the user.

Nsomniac likes this.
  15. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

I love V30's, and I highly recommend a WGS Vet 30 with a Celestion Vintage 30, I prefer my cleans to have some hair on them and I love this combo... nothing wrong with 2 Vintage 30's !!

Nsomniac likes this.
  16. Nsomniac

Thank you. This is the kind of enabling I can really get behind. :beer

I suppose at the end of the day it is not only a bit subjective, but also depends on the characteristics of the particular cab. Hence the dilemma...I'd love to have half a dozen speakers lined up and try different mixes as the spirit moved me, but I'm not sure that's in the cards.

17. Spankyrigor

Spankyrigor Member

I would have to say my favorite mixed pair is a WGS Veteran 30 + ET65. Nice lively tone; very versatile.

therhodeo likes this.
  18. effectsman

effectsman Member

I also experimented a lot with mixing speakers in a 2x12, but ended up liking two of the same speaker much more than any of the the combinations I tried which were G12H30 + V30, G12H+ Greenback, V30 + GB, M65 + H75, M65 + V30, H75 + V30, Alnico Cream + V30, Cream + GB, Cream + M65.

seajay, Nsomniac and Cap'n Lee like this.
  19. Nsomniac

What did you land on for two of the same?

20. effectsman

effectsman Member

At various times I had two of the G12H30s, V30s, Creamback H75, M65s and then GB in it. It was an oversized 2x12 and I ended up preferring the M magnet speakers over the H, but it really depends on what you are looking to hear. I just didn’t end up preferring mixtures in the cab.

4x12 I think is worth it though. I’ve heard some 4x12s with G12H30s on the bottom and V30s on top, and then G12H30s with GB on top. Both those sounded great to my ears.

Nsomniac likes this.